Nov 7, 2011

Do You Know The Doughnut Girl?

I do!

Last week I was presented with an awesome opportunity, but on one dreadful condition:  I had to wake up at 5:00 a.m. Say whaaaaaat? Yes. My friend Eric and I were invited to Glazed Doughnuts to learn about the doughnut-making process. There aren’t many reasons for which I’d wake up before dawn, but sugar is definitely one of them. That, and if Zac Efron was knocking at my door. Just saying.

It really was still dark out when Eric picked me up at 5:15. I couldn’t even believe there were other people on the road. Were these people on their way to learn how to make doughnuts too? I mean, why the heck else would you get up that early? Work or something? EWWWWW.
So anyway, back to doughnuts. Culinary Institute of Charleston graduate and aspiring chef Allison Smith and her boyfriend, Mark Remi, opened up Glazed less than a month ago, on October 12th. In just a short time, they have become quite popular, and often have lines waiting outside the door each morning. Allison, Mark, and Allison’s mother were generous to show us behind the scenes. The process is pretty darn cool.

The base for the dough is made and left to rise.

The dough is then put into a really cool machine that punches out doughnut shapes and drops them into the fryer.

The doughnuts are flipped several times to ensure they are evenly cooked, then removed to cool.

Then it’s time to decorate! Here are the Pumpkin Spice doughnuts in the works:

All finished. Don’t they look incredible?

Fun daily flavors at reasonable prices:

There’s also a cute sitting area:

More delicious doughnuts:

It was too early to sample other flavors, but I did try the Pumpkin Spice. Absolutely delicious, especially when warm!

I had also been in the week before and tried the Raspberry doughnut with Boding. We both loved it – very sweet!

Rachel and I also tried the The Purple Goat -- Berry goat cheese filling with lavender glaze. It was loaded with blueberries!

I’ll be back to try the rest of the flavors!

Why you should love Glazed Doughnuts:
  • fun, unique flavor combinations
  • natural ingredients
  • dough is made in-house
  • no preservatives, colorings, or other additives
  • great, friendly staff
For more information, see their:
Glazed Gourmet on Urbanspoon 

Have you stopped by Glazed yet? Get there. Even Carly agrees in her review of Glazed.

What’s your favorite doughnut flavor? Cake or glazed preference?