Aug 14, 2010

Out With the Old, In With the New

This morning Nikki and I went to Hominy Grill for brunch. The restaurant, located downtown on Rutledge St., is in a shabby old building dating back to the 1880s. The clapboard walls, tin ceilings and hardwood floors give the former barbershop a very homey, antique feeling. 
The menu has traditional Southern fare, with pancakes, french toast, eggs, buttermilk biscuits, and of course, grits. You may recognize Hominy Grill from Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations when he devoured the "Big Nasty Biscuit": a buttermilk biscuit with fried chicken, cheddar, and sausage gravy.

Aside from the regular menu, the restaurant offers daily specials which are written on chalkboard menus.
If I hadn't just had french toast last weekend, I would have definitely ordered the cinnamon french toast. I instead chose one of their daily specials: black bean, salsa & cheddar omelette with avocado sauce, home fries, and corn bread. 
Hominy Grill has traditional Southern corn bread that is on the drier side with just a hint of sweetness. "Yankee corn bread" is sweeter and more like cake. (Reason #922958725 why I don't mind being called a Yankee. I like my food sweet!) The omelette was pretty good but the avocado sauce kind of freaked me out. I'm 100% sure this was avocado pureed with sour cream. Ick. Here's a picture of the inside:
Nikki had a buttermilk biscuit with egg and cheese and a side of grits.
 
I was in l-o-v-e (ok, maybe lust) with her biscuit. I think I ate more of it than she did. It was so moist and crumbly. We both thought the grits had a great texture but needed salt. Here is a picture of us outside the restaurant, photographed by a stranger who obviously doesn't know the rule of thirds. Our poor hands got chopped!
Hominy Grill on Urbanspoon

After brunch we stopped by Dillard's to exchange my beloved Michael Kors watch. I used to own this baby:
Pretty, right? Well, that "gold" you see started wearing off after only 2 months. Not so pretty. I exchanged it for the all silver so I wouldn't look so ghetto-fab.
This watch means serious business. Not only is it about as large as my head, but I could probably clock someone with it....haha GET IT? Oh and did you guys know I was a magician?
Now you see it...
Now you don't! 
I've got tricks.


News in my boudoir: nope, not a man, just new paint & furniture. A couple weeks ago I decided to paint my wall green. Are you at all surprised that I chose a color called Guacamole green?
 A week later, my bed arrived. Reason #298579284 why it's cool to have muscles: you can put beds together! 
I started this project the other night and good heavens it was a chore. So many nuts, bolts, and washers.
My roommate walked in right as I started and pointed out that I was building it upside down. Thank goodness he wanted to help. It took us about 30 minutes to do the frame:
Another 30 minutes later we were done!
Now I'm off to take a nap on my favorite food book. I hope that by some miraculous diffusion process I absorb some of this information. According to Boding, diffusion is "the transfer of particles, specifically ions and nutrients, from one permeable membrane to another permeable membrane." Sure. Let's just hope that diffusion is real so I wake up a better cook. 
OH YES I sleep smiling!! No wine like last time. After my diffusion nap, my friend Kelly and I are going out to dinner where we will hopefully run into 5-10 available men. That should be enough! ;)

41 comments:

  1. reminds me of my bedroom painting and renovation ive gotta get started on soon! i love the wall color!
    wow that buttermilk biscuit is incredible! ive never seen one served that packed and oozing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the new wall colour! I saw a room that colour in Ikea last week and it made me want to repaint my room all over again.

    Mmm cornbread and biscuits! I think I'd fit right in down South! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GRITS! I ♥ grits! I used to eat them when I was a little girl as part of what my mom called "country breakfast". Mmmm! YUM^2! My Italian-New Jersey-raised husband probably doesn't even know what they are hehe

    Love the green room! I love earthy tones- so warm and inviting:) And, good job putting that bed together, muscle woman!

    Have fun at dinner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christina, your room looks great!!! Where did you get your bed from? I love it. Hominy Grill is nice, great review-- have a good weekend!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the paint color! So you. And i've heard amazing things about Hominy. We were almost going to go there tomorrow for brunch, but my sister picked Virginia's instead. Hope the rest of your weekend is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like eggs, avocados, and black beans but I just don't know if I could handle that omelet. Your room looks awesome though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats it, Lincoln and I are roadtripping to Charleston for a day so I can try the Big Nasty and he can find some bitches in the alley.

    I love the bed, I paid my friends boyfriend to put it together my bed for me since it would come out all kinds of funktified if I tried to put it together.

    Hope you have some luck tonight. I went to an Irish festival today and it the selection was bad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I want to come hang out with yall on a saturday and go to brunch!!! That sauce would of freaked me out too, actually , that sounds gross to me. hahaha but the biscuit sounds GREAT!!!!
    LOVE YOU SUGA!! lets go to HLS togetha next yr, K?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I realized something while reading this post: I love CORN!! It's gotten such a bad rap over the past five years because it's been abused (hello HFCS!), but in it's whole form (cornmeal, grits, hominy), it's AMAZING! There are so many yummy things you can do with it, not to mention eating it straight off the cob. :-) And cheese grits = love.

    Yay for the new bed! Looks super comfy! I think my next bed is going to be an air
    mattress...Seriously, I've been sleeping on one for the past three weeks and have never slept better in my life!

    Hope dinner was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I chose Hominy Grill for my birthday dinner this past April JUST so I could try the Big Nasty!! It was very good...but not amazing. Grit cakes were awesome, though. :) Just my 2 cents!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My blog is changing! Follow at http://livedwithlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got the same exact watch for Christmas. I love it! It's big but still looks girly :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OOOH! Love the room! The color is fab!

    The watch is super cute too. Sucky about the gold, but the all silver looks great. I have been looking for a big watch like that. Fossil makes one called the boyfirend or something, but now I'll have to look into Michael Kors too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Think 10 men...your odds will be better to find a good one! Love the room! That looks like the color of my office at home! I am pretty much obsessed with all shades of green! Enjoy your evening and good luck on the man front!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I'm in lust too with that meal...yum...

    That's an interestig book your reading. I've never heard of it. What made you interested in that - it's more about cooking processes is it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh girl I love you ! Especially reading your blog, love the comment that you hope there are 5-10 available men! lol! I hope there are too, and I also hope at least 2 are hot! I dont think all could be, unless your really LUCKY!!

    Oh I love the new watch! I have a big watch too, a Juicy one, and I swear it's a weapon! I have stars on my wrist, love your star! We have SO MUCH in common, its scary! Are last names also endo rso, is that weird?!!!!

    LOVE the wall color and love that you can put a bed together, thats hot girl! Got to be handy : )

    Love you and hope you have a good dinner out, and good luck with the man hunt : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny girl. The bed looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i've never tried hominy grill! I always hear about it, though. I love your bedroom renovation pictures, It's looking good! By the way, I would recommend that wine from Whole Foods, especially for the price tag ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the new watch and bedroom. Painting gives everything an awesome "new" feel to it. Makes for fresh starts :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Christina! I love the guacamole paint and your new bed. My boyfriend was just looking over my shoulder and commented "hey that's a cool background." He's right. The knives, forks and spoons are great!!

    PS I'm your newest follower! Feel free to hit me back :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great post and pretty pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    Plan B

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhh wow this reminded me just how much I love Southern food... buttery biscuits and grits, yes please!!
    Loove your avocado green room btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love that bed frame!

    When I was in college, I painted a room I was renting a similar color green. I loved feeling like I was inside an avocado :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the color Guacamole! What a find :) And... I'm a grits girl. Gimme those grits warm, cool, savory, or sweet and I'm a happy camper! (PS - Buttermilk biscuits? YES PLEASE!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The bed is cute girlie! I love the huevos rancheros at Hominy! Your drunk emails were so freakin funny. I could tell you were really enjoying that wine. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sorry, you need a bigger comment box to fit a list of all the things I love in this post. The bed and wall colour are awesome! As is the wrist tatoo and your oversized watch, nice style lady! I love watches like that but mine is not quite as swank as yours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love Hominy!!!! So jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a weekend! Love the watch. On the cheap I buy some at smaller shops around town, nobody knows the difference, lol. Men's watches at Target also do the trick in a pinch.

    Is the bed still standing? lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. love the color! if you picked it because of its name i wouldn't judge, i would nod along in agreement :) anything with food attached has a chance of exceeding expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your room looks so cute - love the color and the bed!! And that restaurant looks awesome as well. I would LOVE to try that omelet! Time to get a little creative my kitchen I think (;

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh my gosh, grits for breakfast are divine!! They remind me of staying at my grandma's house when I was little. I love all things brunch, too!

    Your bed is so dang cute! Yay for muscles to put beds together. :-)

    I hope you met 5-10 available guys.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I LOVE breakfast at new places. Everything looks so delicious!

    I have been obsessing over green lately. My new yoga mat is almost the same color as your wall. It's a good color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. what an AWESOME cool bed - headboard !! too cool. I love ALL kinds of cornbread - that big ol' slice looks BOMB. I need to make cornbread...

    all of that breakfast looks SO good.

    love the new watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. The food looks delicous. I have the white Michael Kors watch. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love the watch!!

    I think that restaurant looks adorable. That biscuit looks so delectable!
    <3 jess
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love the green wall, loved new bed and duh - of course you sleep smiling. hehe Guacamole green?! Too funny!! The watch is very cool - look at you making things disappear!

    ReplyDelete
  37. oh my goodnesssssss its 10 pm and now I want breakfast after seeing a picture of that biscuit with egg and cheese. seriously. that looks AWESOME!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Enjoy your bedroom, it's so cute! And I adore Michael Kors!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love Hominy Grill! That biscuit looks amazing. Last time I was there I had the big nasty biscuit.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I used to always wear watches! Seeing your new watch makes me remember why I loved them so much... a trip to Nordstrom might be in the near future for me :)

    ReplyDelete