Apr 20, 2011

First Day with Pinckney’s Produce CSA

Thank for all your sweet comments regarding this stupid sickness! I really didn't want to go to the doctor so I called Nancy's mom who is an RN. She told me I sounded horrible and insisted making an appointment. Later on, she messaged me on facebook:

Subject: Sicko!
Message: Did u go to dr? Are you drinking OJ? Hot Tea? U can add honey. Is it upper respiratory? Do u think it's in your chest? Seriously, hot tea w/lemon and honey (even a little whiskey) might help. Take Ibuprofen.

WHISKEY? Is she freaking kidding me? I’d be dead!

Anyway…
After contemplating joining a CSA for the past year, I decided to take the plunge and join Pinckney's Produce. For those of you who don't know, a CSA (community supported agriculture) is a program where members purchase a subscription to a farm's harvest and receive a weekly delivery of fresh, local produce. I chose the small share size for a total of $260 ($234 + $26 delivery fee). The spring subscription lasts 13 weeks, so it averages out to be $20/week. I'm not sure that I usually spend $20 a week on produce, but I figured that it will help me add more veggies to my diet and inspire me to cook new recipes. Plus, it helps the community!

After work I picked up my first box from Whole Foods.DSC_2667 (1280x1127)

Week 1’s box contains the following:
  • broccoli
  • cauliflower
  • collards
  • spinach
  • spring onions
  • strawberries
  • turnips
    DSC_2676 (911x1280)
Holy overload of greens. My Vitamin C and beta carotene levels are going to skyrocket. This is just what I need while I’m sick. I ate most of the strawberries in the car on the way home and they were so good. I didn’t even care that they were unwashed.

For dinner, I was in the mood for something light, so I grabbed the easiest vegetable to work with: spring onions. I chopped up the bulb and sautéed it in olive oil until it was soft. In a small pan, I set an egg white omelet, then added the onions, the sliced greens, goat cheese and salt & pepper.DSC_2682 (1280x853)

Maybe my mind was playing tricks on me, but this was so good for such a simple dish. I could really tell a difference in the freshness of the produce. I can’t wait to use the rest of the goodies.DSC_2686 (1280x914)

And here’s where I need your help. Any recipe suggestions using broccoli, cauliflower, collards, mustard greens, or turnips would be greatly appreciated! I think I can handle the spinach on my own. Smile

Have you ever joined a CSA? Did your farm’s website contain any helpful recipes? Feel free to pass those along too!