Oct 4, 2012

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup / Gruber Farm CSA Week 3

Hello friends!

I guess the heat has something to do with the Summery produce that I’m still getting in my CSA. I was looking forward to Fall veggies – where are they?photo

In the box:

  • watermelon
  • eggplant
  • sweet potatoes
  • cucumbers
  • green tomatoes
  • muscadine grapes
  • cherry tomatoes
  • onions
  • yellow squash

Almost every time I’ve gotten sweet potatoes, I’ve baked them. It was time for something new: soup!

Creamy Sweet Potato Soup

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound)
  • 1 medium onion
  • 4 cups (or one 32 oz. carton) low sodium, fat-free vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
  1. Peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into small chunks. Place the sweet potatoes, onion, and broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat, cover, and cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
  2. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth.
  3. Return the soup to the saucepan and add milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Reheat and enjoy!

You’re probably like, “3 steps? Really? Sure.” Oh, but really. Let me show you.

Boil the veggies.DSC_0347 (1024x683)

Transfer them to your food processor. Blend. Make a mess. Ignore that wine glass, it’s just there to look cool. It wasn’t full a few minutes before or anything.DSC_0352 (733x1024)

Put the soup back in the pot, add spices, and heat until warm.DSC_0354 (1024x731) 

Serve to anyone and everyone willing to eat it. They’re goanna love it!image

Okay my soup loving friends, I’ve got a proposal of sorts. Do you have a favorite soup recipe that you’ve made several times? How about a special family recipe that has been passed down to you? Or what about a new favorite that you recently discovered?

Would you be interested in a healthy soup contest? Think about it and let me know. I’d love to host a contest on my blog where the winning recipe will be featured in an upcoming post and you’ll win a prize! I’d love to know if you’re interested. :)