Oct 18, 2012

Sweet Potatoes with Collard Greens and Tomatoes

A good friend makes you laugh. A good friend is someone you can trust. A good friend has a shoulder for you to always lean on.

And a great friend brings you unexpected bowls of frozen yogurt just because there’s a new flavor at your favorite spot.

Hey, Danielle – that’s you! Yesterday evening, I got a text from Danielle telling me that Tutti Frutti had pumpkin frozen yogurt and asking if I wanted some. Obviously my response was prefaced with an “Omg” and finished off with a “Yessssss.” Seriously, how would you have responded?

Her delivery came on the perfect day; I was making an all veggie meal that should only be balanced out with something sweet, right? Just say yes. I was determined to use a bunch of items from my 5th CSA box.DSC_0387 (1024x732)

In this week’s box:

  • watermelon
  • red potatoes
  • apples
  • collard greens
  • squash
  • green peppers
  • onions
  • tomatoes
  • green beans

As much as I talk about eating candy, cookies, and dessert, I really do have great self control. I eat it often, but never eat a lot at a time. I took a huge bite of the pumpkin froyo, declared it  amazing, and put the rest in the freezer for after dinner. I swear this motivated me to a)cook a healthy dinner and b)grocery shop at the speed of light for the other items I needed.DSC_0391 (1024x731)

Sweet Potatoes with Collard Greens and Tomatoes

Ingredients:

  • 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2" pieces
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 bunch collard greens (about 6-8) leaves
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tsp. garam masala
  • salt and pepper

Preparation:

  1. Wash the collard greens and pat try.  Cut down the center of each leaf to remove the rib.  Chop leaves into 1/4" strips and set aside.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the potatoes and season well with salt and pepper.  Cook until they are browned and almost cooked through, about 5 minutes.  Place the cooked potatoes in a bowl and set aside. 
  3. Add a little more oil to the pan and add the onion and garlic.  Cook for a few minutes until tender. 
  4. Add the chard and sauté until it starts to wilt, about 2 minutes.  Add the potatoes and tomatoes into the skillet with the greens. Add the garam masala and stir. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if needed.  Continue to cook for a few minutes, stirring often, to let the flavors meld. Remove from heat and serve immediately.

DSC_0395 (1024x683)

Hello, colors! You’re going to love this dish, I promise. And boys, if you need meat in your meal, serve this as a side next to your steak or something. It’ll make anyone happy. And when you’ve finished gobbling it all up, you can comfortably reach for that cup of frozen yogurt.

Did someone just shout “Balance!”?

Amen.