Dec 6, 2011

Butternut Squash and Blue Cheese Quinoa

Try not to be shocked that you’re seeing a recipe on my blog. I know, it’s been a hot minute. Forgive me, for I have blog sinned. I’ve just been eating way too much Chick-fil-A.

At Trader Joe’s, the produce isn’t priced by weight, but just a set number. B-nut squash is $1.99, so naturally I picked up the largest one I could find. This monster was like a newborn baby. Lugging it up the stairs was both a bicep and a leg workout and I am not even kidding.

You know what else was a workout? Peeling the stupid thing. #firstworldproblems

I cut the squash up in 1-inch cubes and roasted it for about 35 minutes on 400*.  That evening, I used it to decorate my quinoa.

Butternut Squash and Blue Cheese Quinoa

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup quinoa
  • 2 cups low-sodium, fat free chicken broth
  • 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 cups roasted cubed butternut squash
  • 6 oz. bag of baby spinach
  • 4  Laughing Cow blue cheese wedges (or use 2 oz. blue cheese)

Preparation:

  1. In a large saucepan, add quinoa, chicken broth, and cinnamon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
  2. Add the butternut squash  and blue cheese and mix well.
  3. Stir in the spinach until wilted.

DSC_0919

Love a colorful recipe! If only this had something purple in it, then we’d have all my favorite colors.

As I was eating this and loving it (obviously), I asked my twitter friends for help naming the recipe. I got some funny responses:

imageimageimageimage

Ben, Thatrunnerchick, and Boding are amazing.

Stevie is a freakshow and I love him.

Andy and Derek aren’t allowed in my house now.

Bo, Heather, RotiRolls and Holly can walk right in the door without knocking.

Have I told you guys lately that I love twitter?