Feb 6, 2011

Adventures in Hula Hooping

Last Wednesday, my hilarious friend Mike challenged me to a hula hooping competition. For some reason he was under the impression that he could outlast me; little did he know I am a hooping champion.

The two of us met at the gym with five different hula hoops: one crappy hoop that Mike had and four of Lucy’s and my hoops. As I walked in with my hoops, I wondered if people would look at me like I was a lunatic, but the exact opposite happened. Everyone wanted to know what we were up to, and I was even asked if I’d be teaching a class anytime soon. A few other girls approached us and asked if they could give it a try. It was fun to see so many people intrigued by our $5 toys.

Mike and I had a couple mini competitions, most of them lasting between 5 and 10 minutes. Mike did an awesome job keeping the hoop up, but I was definitely the winner. Here is a little clip that Lucy took of us. Please enjoy Mike’s “competition attire” and the part where he skips. He’s a gem.

While we were there, one of the spin class instructors/trainers, David, attempted to hoop. He was very enthusiastic, but didn’t do so well. The next day at the gym, I went to his spin class, and he immediately recognized me as hula hoop girl. In a typical spin class, you can spin, run on the woodway speed boards, or use the krankcycles. David thought it would be fun to throw the hula hooping option in there and asked if I’d like to bring my hoops to a class. Of course I was all over this. On Friday morning, I brought my hoops to class and it was a success! Even David finally got the hang of it.

At tomorrow’s  Spin class at 6:30 p.m., David will be teaching spin, and I will be teaching hula hooping! Anyone can come, but I recommend calling to sign up for a spot just in case. David is offering a free personal training session to whomever can keep their hula hoop up the longest. All my Eco friends need to come!