Feb 3, 2011

The Rice Market

Last Tuesday, I finally got a chance to check out the Rice Market downtown. Using a combination of local product and international delicacies, the menu contains elements from from Mediterranean, Cajun, the Far East, and Lowcountry cuisine. With such a diverse menu, there is something for everyone!

The first thing I must say about this restaurant is that it is absolutely gorgeous inside. Upon entering, you will notice an outdoor eating area that will be perfect come Summer. The inside of the restaurant is largely open but with dim lighting. rice market charleston (8)To the right, you have the bar.rice market charleston (9)There is also a rice wine bar.rice market charleston (10)Back to the left, you will find the regular seating area that includes a couple lounge tables. rice market charleston (7)This beautifully decorated room towards the back would be perfect for a private party or birthday.rice market charleston (4)rice market charleston (5)rice market charleston (6)
The restaurant’s vibe definitely made for a great eating experience.

While looking over the menu, we started with Zipang sparkling sake. It was lightly sweet with just a little bubble.
 
For an appetizer, I tried the The Stone – soy & sake marinated hanger steak sliced thin for you to cook at the table. The stone arrives at your table steaming hot. You lay the steak on the stone and cook it to your preference. Interactive eating is fun! Both sauces accompanying the steak were delicious. stoneAnother (unpictured) appetizer that we tried was Satays: cardamom duck, crispy shrimp, and chipotle grilled beef. You get two satays of each meat served with a soy dipping sauce and mustard aioli. The duck satay with mustard aioli was definitely my favorite.

Once we had decided what to order, we each chose a glass of wine: Kim Crawford Chardonnay and Vina Nora albariño for me.

One of the entrées we had was Paella: Spanish rice, mussels, clams, shrimp, calamari,
stewed tomatoes, black garlic aioli. This was incredible. Full of so many flavors and different types of seafood, this is such a satisfying meal. I couldn’t get over how much flavor was in the broth and how perfectly tender the rice was.
paella
We also had the (unpictured) Wood Grilled Salmon with coconut jasmine rice, sugar snap peas, caramelized pineapple. I rarely order salmon at restaurants because I just don’t think it ever lives up to my expectation. It was highly recommended by our server, so I went with it. I was very happy I did. I was served a large piece of salmon that was cooked to my preference. The pineapple and coconut flavored rice paired really well with the fish. I would definitely suggest this dish for any salmon lovers.

There are many other items on the menu that I’d like to try, so I will soon return to the Rice Market. The service was excellent and although our food was served in a timely manner, I never felt rushed. Should you find yourself looking for a new place to eat, make your way down to East Bay treat. You will not be disappointed. Huge thanks to T for the wonderful meal and letting me take 2095872985 photos. Smile
Rice Market on Urbanspoon

And now, the winner of the Yoplait Smoothie giveawaysmoothiewinner
Congratulations, Jessica!!