Sep 12, 2011

Healthier Beef Stew 4 U

You know how sometimes you just crave comfort food? I’m not sure if it’s the weather cooling down, or my body telling me I need iron, but I’ve had beef stew on my mind for a few days. This is so random, as I rarely eat red meat. I’ll probably have 2 burgers a year and a few bites of someone else’s steak. I don’t choose not to eat red meat, I just prefer chicken and fish. With that said, when I have a craving for something, I go with it.

Beef stew doesn’t sound very healthy now, does it? Well, it doesn’t have to be that bad. Beef stew typically contains boneless chuck pot roast, but while in the grocery store I spotted mock tender roast, which is a less fatty cut. Yes, fat adds to the flavor, but I’d rather cut back and add flavor with my own seasoning.

Healthier Beef Stew 4 U adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs. mock tender roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/3 cup tomato paste
  • 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 lb. medium onions, sliced
  • 1 lb. sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 lb. baby carrots
  • 6 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 bay leaves

Preparation:

  1. In a 3-quart (or larger) slow-cooker, combine beef, tomato paste, balsamic vinegar, and salt & pepper.
  2. Add onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, garlic, bay leaves, and 2 cups of water. Cover, and cook on high for 5 hours (or low for 8 hours) until beef is fork-tender.

image

Now that we’ve covered the food (literally), let’s talk about this week’s fitness plans. I’m decided to participate in more classes for a better variety of workouts. This ensures that I stay interested in the gym and my muscles aren’t getting bored.

Monday: Body Pump Express on my lunch break, 3 mile run outside with Amanda this evening

Tuesday: Body Attack

Wednesday: CX30 (a core class), possible outdoor run

Thursday: Cardio kickboxing

Depending on my weekend plans, I might squeeze in some additional strength training or a run. The above plans are a minimum and contingent on my social life, haha.

What’s your favorite crock pot recipe?

Do you plan your fitness for the week or just go with what you feel like doing each day?

Do you let fitness trump your social life? Or the other way around?