Aug 8, 2012

What I’m Loving Wednesday: In Grandma’s Kitchen

One of my favorite things about other people’s houses is peering into their pantry or refrigerator and seeing what their food staples are. No, of course I don’t just barge in someone’s pantry without asking. Grandma didn’t mind me poking about –- she had even picked up a few items she knew I’d like.

1. Front Porch Carolina Churned Ice Cream. Grandma bought two flavors: Lemony Sunshine and Blackberry Crumble. We had high hopes for the Blackberry Crumble but it didn’t have much flavor. The Lemon Sunshine was perfect – sweet, creamy, and not too tart.

Lemony SunshineBlackberry Crumble

Some of the flavors have the cutest names: Sweetie Tea, Sassy Strawberry, and Peachy keen. Charleston friends – You can buy this ice cream at Harris Teeter, Bi-Lo, or Food Lion. (Side note: does anyone go to Food Lion?)

2.  Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers.

These super crunchy crackers are baked and gluten free. The have a great texture and a slight hint of tamari soy sauce.

3. Bay’s English Muffins. 

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve overlooked these in my grocery store’s dairy case. Grandma said her mother always bought them and she loves them because they’re much lighter than a standard English muffin. A couple mornings I topped them with peanut butter and drizzle of honey and one morning I made a sandwich with a poached egg and bacon. They’re available in Original, Sourdough, Honey Wheat, and Multi-Grain.

4. Ybarra Pimento-Stuffed Olives. imageThese manzanilla olives are different than regular jarred olives; they don’t have a vinegary flavor at all.

5. Manu 2010 Sauvignon Blanc.

We had a bottle of this with our salmon the other night and it was great.  Tasting notes: “Fruit forward, bright, and lively. This is a classic Marlborough style Sauvignon Blanc with aromas of citrus, herbs, and tropical fruits. The sweet herbs follow through to the palate supported by gooseberry and passion fruit flavors. A beautifully balanced and refreshing finish.

6. Great Value kosher dill spears. image

I know what you’re thinking: Wal-Mart brand? Yes. After reading in the August 2012 issue of Cooking Light that these pickles were a winner, Grandma picked some up. We tried them, and you know what? They’re not half bad. Priced at only $1.98 for a 24 oz. jar, these are budget-friendly pickles.

7. Trader Joe’s Raisin Rosemary Crisps.

When I first saw these on the shelf, I thought the flavor combo sounded strange. Strange is the last word I’d use to describe these. They’re sweet, savory, crunchy, and chewy. I think they’d be amazing to dip in goat cheese. I posted a picture of them on instagram (@christinaorso) and someone mentioned they were good with Trader Joe’s blue cheese spread. Adding that to the list for my next TJ’s haul…