Jun 3, 2011

Destin Day 1

This morning we awoke to heat. Heat and humidity. This was the weather before 9 a.m.IMG_5040

After breakfast, we got ready for the beach. We stopped at Wal-Mart (aka crazyland) for beer and fancy koozies.I think we got some good ones. Our koozies have two fine ladies on them – one with short hair doing some kind of awful dance, and another with long hair splashing in the water.IMG-20110602-00318

Hey, it’s like us on the koozie!DSC04168

The beach here is so much prettier than the beaches in Charleston; the sand is white and doesn’t stick to you and the ocean is a pretty blue-green color. You can actually see your feet through the water.IMG_5041

Here we are with Margaret’s little sister on the beach. Yes, that is her little sister. I may or may not have been standing in a pit in the sand, but at 14 years old, she is still a few inches taller than me. Yet we have the same foot size. Um…DSC04170

My goal is to leave Destin bronzer than ever – I think I’m doing okay.IMG-20110602-00319

After the beach we came home and made a little snack with some of my CSA veggies that I had brought with us. Here is a bowl of cucumber spears soaking in white balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Cucumbers are just immature pickles!IMG_5042

We lounged around a bit and I continued reading the book I had started while on the beach. Virginia recommended Little Bee and I snatched it up from the library before we left. I’m only on chapter 3, but so far it’s a great read.

Later in the afternoon, we ran over to the outlets. I picked up two pairs of shorts from Banana Republic. Dresses are fun, but I really love wearing shorts in the summertime. DSC04173 

For dinner, we had some fresh snapper that Margaret’s dad caught this morning. Margaret’s little sister made a topping of sundried tomatoes, parmesan cheese, lemon, garlic, and cilantro – delicious. With the fish we had purple potatoes from my CSA box, green beans from Margaret’s garden, and sweet corn on the cob.IMG_5043

So far, we’ve had a great time and I’m looking forward to more sun tomorrow. It will be in the high 90s again.

Have you read any good books this summer?

What’s your preference: shorts or dresses?