Aug 24, 2011

5 Things Every Bitch Should Have In Her Kitch

Before you choke on my title, please remember that a B.I.T.C.H. stands for

Babe

In

Total

Control of

Herself.

Thanks for understanding that I am a bitch and you should be one too! Here we go.

1. A food processor. Preferably one by Cuisinart or Kitchenaid. Both have been around for a while and have good reputations. Choosing between the two is just personal preference, much like choosing between a Nikon or Canon. Do your thing. I have the Kitchenaid 7-Cup food processor (Model # KFP715).

Some of my favorite things I make with my food processor are hummus, whipped banana “ice cream,” smoothies, and almond butter.

2. A Silpat non-stick bating mat.silpat

The Silpat mat can be placed right over a pan before baking cookies or roasting veggies. Cookies slide right off and you don’t even have to use grease! I don’t know what I would do without this.

3. A good knife.

This past birthday I was given my first really good knife, a Shun Santoku knife. This baby is sharp. It cuts things so easily that I’m a bit intimidated using it.

4. A kitchen scale. I think that accurate ingredient measurements are essential for baked goods. Cookies too crumbly? You might be using too much flour. Cookies spreading too thin? You might not be using enough. With a scale, you’ll always have the correct amount of flour which will yield perfectly textured cookies, cakes, bread, and so on. I use the My Weigh KD7000. image

It measures in pounds, ounces, grams, and kilograms. It has a removable stainless steel platform and it small enough to sit on your countertop without getting in the way.

5. A cute apron! It’s important to a)look cute while you’re cooking and b)protect your regular clothing, even if it’s gym attire. Nikki gave me this Hungry Meets Healthy embroidered apron for my 26th birthday.

Bonus Item #1: A good friend to assist.

Amanda enjoys cooking as much as I do, so she is always of great help in the kitchen. It’s more fun cooking with a friend because you can relish over then end product together!

Bonus Item #2: A good friend to provide the adult beverages.

Cooking is also much more fun when you have a friend with whom you can toast to life! Be careful not to drink too much during the process though – you want to remember what your dinner tastes like! :)

What are YOUR kitchen essentials?

I’ll do a post on my favorite kitchen utensils soon, too!