Oct 12, 2011

Shrimp Risotto with Sweet Peas and Goat Cheese

Thin girls eat pasta too! God bless carbohydrates.

After work, I met Amanda and Mariah at the gym for Body Attack. It was Mariah’s first time taking the class and she did so well. She handled it so much better than I did at my first class. I was just an embarrassment to society. She really liked the workout and said that it pushed her much more than if she had worked out alone. I completely agree – all the Les Mills classes provide such an energy surge.

Even though I live about 2 minutes from the gym, I couldn’t get home faster. I had already planned to make risotto for dinner, and knowing how long it can take, I zoomed across the street faster than Jimmie Johnson. Babe!!

Did you guys know that I’ve been to a Nascar race? Ridiculous. I redeemed myself by wearing J. Crew head to toe.



Back on today’s topic: risotto. It may be a laborious task, but the end product is well worth it. Plus, it’s a bicep workout! Bis for the guys…am I right?


Shrimp Risotto with Sweet Peas and Goat Cheese, serves 4

DSC_0663


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 4 cups chicken fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup fresh sweet peas
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 oz. goat cheese
Preparation:
  1. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook 1 minute, remove from pan, and set aside.
  2. In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add rice; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add wine and cook until nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
  3. Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed before adding the next. When adding the final 1/2 cup of broth, add shrimp, peas, lemon juice, and goat cheese. Serve immediately.
DSC_0655
With a glass of white wine, this was the perfect reward after my calorie-torching workout. Risotto is creamy and nutty. The peas add a light sweetness to the dish while the goat cheese lends a savory flavor. It’s comforting, satisfying, and worth all the stirring!

For another delicious recipe, see my Shrimp, Spinach, and Goat Cheese Risotto.


Have you made risotto?


What are you favorite risotto ingredients?


Side note: This Friday, O’Brion’s Pub & Grille of James Island is hosting a Breast Cancer Benefit for Integrative Cancer Care. Charleston Pickle Company is donating a ton of pickles for *free* fried pickles for all attending and 3 canisters of pickles to be raffled off! There will be a pasta buffet for $8 as well as drink specials and live music. Support the boobies!