Oct 18, 2011

Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash

What’s your morning computer ritual? Mine is:

  1. Open gmail
  2. Open work email
  3. Open facebook
  4. Post the day’s post on my blog’s fb page
  5. Start work

I’m sure my boss is really pleased by the order of these tasks. While on facebook today I noticed this post from the local Great Harvest.

image

Had I not just inhaled a bowl of cinnamon oatmeal, I would have driven straight to to GH for breakfast. I exhibited self control and waited for my lunch break to go pick up a loaf. It is 100% heavenly. I am going to have to freeze 1/2 of it so I don’t eat the entire loaf in 2 days.DSC_0674 (1024x683)

After work, Mariah and I went for a run around the Old Village, a pretty, old neighborhood in Mount Pleasant. It’s getting darker much earlier, but I did manage to snap a pretty photo of the water before the sun set. download

When I got home, I whipped up an extremely easy vegetarian recipe.

Southwestern Stuffed Acorn Squash, makes 4 servings

Ingredients

  • 2 acorn squash
  • 1 15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, drained
  • 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
  • 1 15 oz. can yellow corn
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • juice of one lime

Preparation:

  1. Cut squash in half horizontally and scoop out and seeds and strings. Place squash in baking dish cut-side down. Add a little water and bake at 350* for 45 minutes or until tender.
  2. While squash is baking, add black beans, tomatoes, corn, and seasonings to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 10-12 minutes or until heated through. Squeeze lime juice over mixture and stir again.
  3. Once the squash is done, remove from pan and stuff with the Southwest mixture. Serve immediately.

DSC_0671 (1024x732)

Oh, I love colorful meals. Colorful = lots of vitamins…usually. Unless we are talking about a bag of peanut m&ms. That just = happiness.

XO!