Jun 14, 2012

CSA Week 9 / Fun With Melons…and Salsa!

You know the drill. Gruber Farm CSA time!! As each week goes by, I become more and more obsessed with having a weekly box of produce. The convenience. The variety. The freshness. Need I say more?DSC_0362 (1024x683)

Week 9 contents:

  • jalapeno peppers
  • tomatoes
  • green peppers
  • green beans
  • corn
  • mini watermelons!!

How cute are the watermelons? Boding and I couldn’t get over them.

We kissed them.DSC_0367 (1024x732)

We loved on them.DSC_0366 (730x1024)

We cradled them like babies.DSC_0368 (1024x731)

Then we tossed them up in the air with joy. (I’m not ready for children.)DSC_0373 (1024x732)

And then we put them away so we could use the other goodies to make SALSA!

Xtina’s Sweet & Spicy Salsa

Ingredients:

  • 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 small jalapeno peppers, diced
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tbsp. honey (secret ingredient!)
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • juice of 1 lime

Preparation:

Place all ingredients in food processor or blender. Pulse until desired consistency is reached.

When I finished making the salsa, I had my roommate do a blind test with my salsa versus Publix’s salsa. She preferred mine! I was so excited. I felt like a younger, prettier, less pretentious Martha Stewart.

After our silliness with the watermelon and salsa, we made a seriously simple dinner:DSC_0384 (1024x683)

Cumin-roasted chicken topped with salsa and sliced avocado, corn on the cob, and Trader Joe's spicy soy & flaxseed tortilla chips.

These chips have 6 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, and 500 mg of omega 3’s per serving. They’re definitely a better alternative – no perservatives either!

How do you like your salsa?

Chunky? Pureed well? Spicy? Fruity?

Cilantro: love it or leave it?