Jun 7, 2012

Gruber Farm CSA Week 8 / Spicy Corn & Potato Chowder

Hello Summer vegetables! The Summer produce started so early this year. It seemed like so long ago that I was picking strawberries.DSC_0350 (1024x730)

In the box:

  • sweet corn – a ton of it!
  • tomatoes
  • eggplant
  • onions
  • banana peppers
  • potatoes
  • green beans

This week, I made a new favorite recipe using 3 different vegetables from the box. I love that. Eight weeks into having the CSA, I’m still reminded that it’s easy to make healthy, wholesome, vegetarian dishes. In fact, this one’s vegan. So, Court, this one’s for YOU!DSC_0355 (733x1024)

Spicy Corn & Potato Chowder

Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 sweet onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds white potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
  • 4 cups of fresh corn (from 6 ears)
  • 16 oz. non dairy milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can of fat-free vegetable broth
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. coriander
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Preparation:

  1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until softened.
  2. Add the garlic, potatoes, and corn. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring a couple times.
  3. Add the milk, broth, cumin, coriander, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

DSC_0358 (1024x730)

I’m sure I say this about most recipes I post, but I loved this. Boding can vouch for this as well; he came over and ate 2 huge bowls. It’s spicy, creamy, and hearty. It’s low in fat but very filling.

My original plan was to use coconut milk, but Publix was out of lite coconut milk. I took a chance with the almond milk in my fridge and am glad I did. It worked!

What’s your favorite soup/stew/chowder? Mine is avgolemono, a Greek egg-lemon soup with chicken and rice. Check out this post when I made it a couple years ago. PS: That post has a really hot Greek guy in it. Winking smile