Oct 24, 2012

Spicy Tofu & Vegetable Stir Fry (#Sriracha)

Eeeeeh, I got so many good things in my CSA box this week. I was overjoyed by all the GREEN! In my opinion, green veggies are the best for you. Eat ‘em up for high doses of Vitamins A, C, and K and also iron and calcium.

DSC_0415 (800x533)

In this week’s box:

  • kale
  • box choy
  • watermelon
  • cucumber
  • onion
  • green pepper
  • sweet potatoes
  • tomatoes
  • green beans
  • eggplant

Let’s talk about tofu for a minute or two. (I rhymed!) I’ve had it several times the past month and each time I have it, I’m less creeped out by it. In fact, I think I’m finally a fan. That said, I decided to pick up a slab at Trader Joe’s over the weekend. It was only a couple dollars, so worst case scenario, I’d lose about what I would’ve spent on a Diet Lemonade at Chick-fil-A. Great rationalization, no?

The first time I tried to make it was a disaster. I sliced it way too thin and had the heat up too high (so says Miss Courtney). I did want it crispy, but not this crispy. IMG_0637

YIKES. Is that not scary? Ok, calm down. The tofu came out better the second time around when I made…

Spicy Tofu & Vegetable Stir Fry

Ingredients:

  • 1 (16 oz.) package firm tofu
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
  • 1 small eggplant, sliced into 1/4-inch thin rounds
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 pound bok choy, sliced
  • 2 tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp. Sriracha
  • 1/4 cup water

DSC_0424 (1024x683)

Preparation:

  1. Pat dry the tofu with paper towels, and cut 1/2 inch thick pieces.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or wok. Stir-fry the tofu until lightly browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. Add the remaining oil to the pan, then add the pepper and eggplant. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then the garlic and  ginger. After about 30 seconds, add the bok choy and stir-fry for about 1 minute until slightly wilted. Add the water. Cook, stirring, until the water evaporates.
  4. Stir in the tofu, soy sauce and Sriracha. Stir-fry for a few additional minutes until everything is seasoned. Remove from the heat and serve immediately. Serves 4.

I ate this as is, but to make a bigger meal, I suggest serving this over steamed rice. Embrace your inner Asian and get your stir fry on!

DSC_0431 (1024x683)

Oh, and clearly I squirted Sriracha all over it. Wouldn’t you?

What’s your favorite GREEN vegetable?

On a scale of 1 to burn, baby, burn, how much do you love Sriracha? Favorite thing to put it on?