Jul 10, 2011

Stop Making Other Banana Bread Recipes…

and make this one right now.

Well, right after you catch up on my blog. :)

I make cookies weekly, but the other type of baked good I really enjoy making (and eating!) is bread. God bless carbohydrates. They make us run faster! I absolutely love bananas and whenever I see those brown speckles forming on their peel, I immediately think of banana bread. You do too, right?

Three speckled bananas sat on my counter this morning and although I had just finished my cereal, I knew I needed a second breakfast. Rather than using an old recipe, I started googling new ones. There are way too banana bread recipes out there y’all. Just too many for my short attention span. For some reason the name David Lebovitz popped into my head, and boy, I’m glad it did.

This man is good. And he uses the metric system. I might love him.

Banana Bread adapted from David Lebovitz

makes one 9-inch loaf

  • 1½ cups (210 g) flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¾ cup (150 g) sugar
  • 2 tablespoons (55 g) melted butter
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 1 cup (250 ml) banana puree, made from 3 small, ripe bananas
  • ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat sour cream Greek yogurt
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Grease a 9-inch loaf pan and preheat the oven to 350*.

1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon, and sugar. 

2. In a separate bowl, mix together the butter, egg white, egg, banana puree, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract.

3. Slowly incorporate wet mixture into the flour mixture. Stir just until combined.

4. Add mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

5. Cool for about 20 minutes, and serve warm. Drizzle with honey for an even tastier treat. 

And here is when you say, “Aaaah, I want that.”

DSC_0241

In addition to eating several spoonfuls of the delicious batter, I ate a warm slice. I’m sure you can imagine how difficult it was for me to wait 20 minutes for it to cool a bit. And that scary looking knife my ex gave me? Oh yeah, that thing is sharp, and for the first time ever, I didn’t annihilate my bread. Thanks B.

And you all can thank me later for blogging about this. I promise you’ll love it. And if you don’t, send me your, dare I say, better recipe.

What is your favorite tried-and-true recipe? Please share!