Jul 17, 2012

Hearts of Palm and Tomato Salad with Feta

Ladies and Gentleman, we have a recipe!

And Boding named it for me. Say thank you to him, won’t you?

So this recipe. It’s pretty! It’s Summery! It’s tasty. You will love it.

The tomatoes used for this recipe were the last of my Summer CSA with Gruber Farm. It was bittersweet. And by bittersweet I mean I am mildly depressed that the Summer season is over, but very excited knowing that the Fall season will start at the end of August.

Yes, I said August. August 28th to be exact. What is with South Carolina being so ahead of the times? Seasonally speaking…progressively, not so much. Thank goodness our people are so friendly.

Before I go off on another tangent, let me share with you some salad.image

Hearts of Palm and Tomato Salad with Feta

Ingredients:

  • 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
  • 1 14 oz. can of hearts of palm, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 cup crumbled feta
  • 3 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
  • juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper

Preparation:

  1. In a medium-sized bowl, toss together tomatoes, hearts of palm, and feta.
  2. Add parsley, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss until evenly mixed.

I highly recommend using local tomatoes and fresh parsley for optimal flavor. It gets better as it sits, so for best results, make the night before you want to serve it. The salad is great as an appetizer or as a side; I’ve had it both as a snack and with grilled chicken and veggies. image

On Saturday, I dropped my Shun Santoku knife off at Coastal Cupboard to be sharpened and got it back today. Aside from the above recipe, this was the most exciting part of my day. The knife slices through tomatoes so easily, it’s quite scary. The moment I took it out of the packaging,  I nicked my fingernail. I would.image

You know you’re a foodie when…