Jul 25, 2012

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

I miss my CSA with Gruber Farm so much! I’m going through withdrawals. I’m seriously having a countdown until the Fall season begins on August 28th. On Tuesday, Boding and I stopped by the Mount Pleasant Farmers’ Market so I could restock my refrigerator. One of the greatest health tips I can give you is that having fresh fruit and vegetables on hand will discourage you from eating processed foods. You also save a ton of money by not eating out. It’s not rocket science, I promise!

Southwestern Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup Trader Joe’s Harvest Grain Blend (or just plain quinoa)
  • 2 medium ears of fresh corn, kernels removed
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 1 bell pepper, diced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
  • juice of 1 lime
  • fresh cilantro, for topping

Preparation:

  1. Prepare grain blend or quinoa as directed on package. Let cool and place in a large bowl.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and toss gently until evenly combined. Top with fresh cilantro or sliced avocado.

image

This is one of those recipes that is satisfying on so many levels.  It’s delicious, healthy, and full of flavor. It packs a bunch of fiber and protein to boot. Share with your friends – they’ll love you for it! Here’s the nutritional information that I calculated on Livestrong.image

Meals like this are the reason I’m okay with frequent visits to frozen yogurt shops because it’s all about the balance. But, as of 1 week ago, I haven’t had any desserts/candy AT ALL. At work the other day, Dane (pushups partner) and I decided we should try giving up sweets for 2 weeks. I’m happy to say that I didn’t go into cardiac arrest OR a deep depression. One week to go!

Ironically, I got 3 cavities filled yesterday. Another reason to abstain from sugar! Wells Fargo was not happy when I swiped my card for that dentist bill.

And then I bought this Sonicare toothbrush. : )

Favorite vegetable combo? I can’t get enough of fresh corn & avocado!

Do you regularly eat sweets or are they a random treat for you?