Sep 6, 2009

Prosciutto & Parrano Pizza

OOOOOOH my holy goodness, I made the most amazing pizza.

Whole Foods has the nicest employees! I knew I wanted to make a pizza with prosciutto and spinach but I wasn't sure which cheese to use. I told the cheese man that I loved gouda and he let me try a piece of Paranno. Paranno is a Dutch cheese that is marketed as Italian. It has a buttery, nuttery flavor. I almost passed out when I tried the sample. Seriously...soooo good. Although it is a semi-firm cheese, it melts in your mouth.

Next employee to harass: the pizza man. I sweetly asked him how he rolls the dough so thin wihtout making holes in it, because the last time I tried, I nearly had a mental breakdown. no, really, I wanted to throw the stupid ball out. He was kind enough to give in, and rolled out a whole wheat ball for me to take home.

Once home, I brushed the dough with a little bit of olive oil and then worked on the sauce mixture. I took a 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and added minced garlic, oregano, and crushed red pepper. I cranked the oven up to 450*, let it preheat, then popped the pizza dough with the sauce in for 10 minutes. Then I added the grated Paranno, fresh spinach, fresh basil, and thin slices of prosciutto and baked for another 5 minutes.

The saltiness of the prosciutto balanced really well with the creamy, nutty cheese. It came out so pretty!

I know you're drooling.


4 comments:

  1. I am drooling, that was so nice that the employees helped you out so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. um so amazing doesn't even do that pizza justice.. "in-freakin-credible" may be more appropriate :)

    I <3 nice employees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so sweet of the pizza man to roll one out for you!!!! Josh is a HUGE fan of prosciutto on pizza- he just got some at Mellow the other night!

    ReplyDelete