May 24, 2011

I May Be Crazy But I Can Make Beet Risotto with Goat Cheese!

All of my negative traits must be forgiven, for I can make some killer risotto.

And cookies.

But really, I am a CLUMSY MESS. It’s not a joke. My attention span is unreal. I’m either unable to focus on anything, or I’m hyper focused on one thing. Luckily, I tend to be hyper focused at work, as long as I have my music on.

A typical Whole Foods shopping adventure for me includes a)knocking something over, b)dropping something, c)ramming something or someone with my cart, d)losing my cart, or e)all of the above. Today, while purchasing Arborio rice for my dinner, I had a moment. You know those bins at Whole Foods? I had pulled down the handle to release Arborio rice into my bag and then heard my phone go off and for some reason, I just walked away. While the handle was still down.

I made it rain Arborio rice all over that place.

This girl looked at me like I was all sorts of stupid, but I looked at her and laughed, because really, how serious could this be? It’s freaking rice. It costs like 2 cents and you have to laugh at life, right?arborio

arborioalloverthefloor

I walked out of Whole Foods and chuckled to myself the entire ride home. Then the cooking began! I was in the mood for something comforting, so the beet risotto that Lucy’s mom had made us came to mind. It was time to recreate her masterpiece!

I used a combination of her recipe and one that Jenna recently posted on Tasty Kitchen.DSC_3008

Beet Risotto

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2-3 medium beets, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 1 cup Arborio rice
  • 3 cups fat free, low sodium chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
  • salt & pepper to taste
  • crumbled goat cheese, for topping

Preparation:

1. Warm the olive oil over medium heat in a medium pot.

2. Add the beets and onion, and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Add the rice, chicken broth, and balsamic vinegar. Increase the heat. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer until the rice is tender and the risotto is creamy, stirring occasionally (about 15 minutes).

4. Season with salt and pepper and add the thyme. Sprinkle with the goat cheese. Serve immediately.

While chopping the beets, I nicked my palm with the knife. Then I realized I had no idea if I had broken the skin because my entire hand was red anyway! Aren’t beets fun?!beetslookbloody

Despite spilling rice and cutting my palm, this meal was ridiculously good. It was creamy and comforting with a nice hint of thyme. The goat cheese balanced out the tangy balsamic and also added to the creaminess. I’m kind of glad I didn’t invite any friends over because I want this alllllllllll to myself!DSC_3005

Along with the beets, I had some Swiss chard that I sautéed in olive oil with garlic and crushed red pepper. Quite a colorful meal. DSC_3014

Now apparently I am not the only crazy in Charleston. Check out this dude I spotted walking down King Street last weekend. HOT PANTS! They are bright yellow and his hair is blue. I found it to be such perfect timing that he was walking by a fire hydrant when I spotted him. They match!

yellowpantsbluehair

XO!