May 3, 2011

Husk – One of The Best Restaurants in Charleston

Last night, Santo and I finally made it to Husk for dinner. We had been planning on going ever since its opening last November and after hearing many positive reviews, we were psyched to finally go. Husk’s cuisine is modern and playful and only local ingredients are allowed through the restaurant’s doors. “If it doesn’t come from the South, it’s not coming through the door,” says Chef Sean Brock. Typically, Southern cuisine is not my favorite, but it’s always fun to be daring with new foods.

Husk is not only known for its creative dishes, but also for their innovative cocktails. Again, cocktails are not my usual beverage of choice, but I could not resist trying one. I ordered the Champagne and Strawberries - Classic elegance with a modern twist - Champagne, Domaine de Canton-soaked strawberries, lemongrass and lavender simple syrup with black pepper. DSC_2752
Loooooooved this. I was worried that it would be too fruity, but it was perfect. The lemongrass was what gave it such dimension.

Santo opted for the The Southern Screwdriver - Not Just For Breakfast anymore - Jalapeno macerated vodka, basil syrup, fresh squeezed orange juice and orange bitters.DSC_2753

This was the spiciest drink I’ve ever tasted! I could not have finished it, but Santo really enjoyed it.

While deciding on appetizers, we were served four fresh yeast rolls with bacon butter. DSC_2755

As usual, we ordered two appetizers. First we had the Glazed Blueridge Bison Short Ribs with Parsnip Farotto and Pickled Mushrooms. These were incredible. They were placed in a barbecue teriyaki sauce that was just divine. And the pickled mushrooms were no joke – sour! DSC_2760

Our second appetizer was Dave’s Wood Fired Clams with Surry County Sausage, Spinach and Spring Onions, Crispy Bread. How cute is this serving bowl? The clams were equally delicious with a really lovely, light broth. DSC_2756

While we were looking at the entrees, I told Santo that I wished there was another fish option other than catfish. He replied, “There is. The Sheepshead.” I looked at him, puzzled, and said, “Oh gosh. I thought they meant an actual sheep’s head.” I couldn’t have been more wrong.
My chosen dish was the SC Spear Caught Sheepshead with Sweet Pea Big Grit “Risotto”, Charred Baby Vidalia Onions and Ramp Broth. DSC_2762

This might be my new favorite fish – very light and moist. The risotto was perfectly tender and the fresh peas added a nice crunch.

Santo ordered SC Beef Tenderloin, with Red Creamer Potatoes, Mepkin Abbey Oyster Mushrooms, Broccoli and Spring Garlic Cream. Although he ordered the tenderloin medium, it came out nearly mooing. It was a bit on the chewy side and the sides weren't too exciting. DSC_2764

And of course we ordered dessert. Within 2 seconds of seeing the dessert menu, we both knew we wanted the bread pudding with orange crème. It wasn’t bad, but different than what I was expecting. Neither of us cared for the orange crème sauce, but that’s not a favorite flavor of either of us. DSC_2766

Overall, I was very happy with my experience. Our server, Graham, was wonderful. He was attentive, extremely helpful, and remained cheerful when we asked him many questions about the restaurant. The inside of the restaurant was gorgeous, and the mood very relaxed. I was worried that the staff may be pretentious, but this was not at all the case. I would go back in a heartbeat and am very excited to try their brunch! More cocktails, please!DSC_2769

Husk on Urbanspoon