Jan 9, 2012

Citrus Walnut Beet Dip and Bad Xbox Dancing

Let’s face it. Beets are a weird vegetable. They grow in the ground, which makes them taste like dirt, and when you cut into them they bleed all over you. What other vegetable does that?

AND THEY MAKE YOUR PEE PINK.

Well, some of you. According to World’s Healthiest Foods, “an estimated 10-15% of all U.S. adults experience beeturia (a reddening of the urine) after consumption of beets.”

Are you one of the 10-15%? I am and I don’t mind it. I also don’t mind sharing that fact with you. Sorry!

Over the weekend, I furthered my love for this creepy vegetable by making a dip.photo(3)

Citrus Beet Dip

Ingredients:

  • 1 15 oz can beets
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1 clove garlic
  • ¼ cup  plain Greek yogurt
  • 2 tbsp. orange juice
  • 1 tbsp. honey
  • 1 tsp. coriander

Preparation:

Place all ingredients into a food processer and puree until smooth. Enjoy the pink stuff!

photo(2)

Three of my favorite things: wine, beets, and blogging!

photo(7)

My poor friend Robert was hanging out with me on Saturday when I decided to make this and boy, did he think I was disgusting. I guess it was payback for when I (briefly!) made him carry my purse at Target. He didn’t seem to mind much, but what did bother him was my extreme case of a.d.d. while in the store.IMAG1429

You see, we went for gum. Just gum. That is all.

We left with:

  • a jewelry organizer
  • two pairs of green socks (I love socks!)
  • more spandex pants
  • wine
  • huge box of clif bars
  • popchips
  • and the gum

$64 and an hour later, I couldn’t tell if he was annoyed or entertained by my ability to destroy Target. He said I was going to be an expensive wife. I think that’s a compliment.

Later that evening, I spent, oh, maybe 6 hours playing Just Dance. My calves were so sore on Sunday morning. In case you ever doubted my hyperactivity, feel free to watch this clip (of a clip) of when I was dancing. Maybe one day I will show you the full footage.

“My watch is weighing me down.”

Who wants to come over and dance?!