Apr 12, 2011

The Easiest, Healthy, One-Ingredient Dessert

With just one ingredient you can quickly whip up a healthy and delicious treat. That one ingredient, my friends, is a frozen banana. I realize that many of my readers are fellow bloggers who have seen this recipe a thousand times throughout the blog world. But there are many of you who are new bloggers/readers who many not have come across this fantastic treat. I’m honestly not sure who the original poster of this recipe is; there are many bloggers who claim they are the first, but really…does it matter? It’s a freaking banana.

Using a food processor, simply toss in a banana that has been sliced and frozen. Process for couple of minutes, or until it reaches a whipped consistency that resembles soft-serve ice cream. While it is whipping, you may need to turn off the food processor and push down banana bits with a spatula to ensure a smoother consistency.

After whipping my banana, I topped it with some Valentine’s Day M&Ms (yes, I’m still celebrating) and a spoonful of Peanut Butter & Co.’sThe Bee’s Knee’s” peanut butter.DSC_2586 (1280x915)

I truly believe that when your body craves real ice cream, you should just go for it. But because bananas are low in fat and are chock-full Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and Potassium, this is a healthy alternative. And you can’t feel guilty about tossing M&Ms on a whipped banana, can you? You should not.

Other toppings that I like to use are:

  • nuts
  • cinnamon
  • cocoa powder
  • chocolate chips/melted chocolate
  • coconut flakes
  • honey
  • more fruit
  • sprinkles! …ahem, Jimmies.

Have you ever made banana soft serve? What’s your favorite topping?

Sprinkles or Jimmies? Winking smile