Apr 26, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Bread with Peanut Butter Glaze

The last week that I was a pneumoniac, I skipped the gym and baked up a storm instead. Saturday morning I made a variation of Cooking Light’s Peanut Banana Bread with a Peanut Butter Glaze. This was unbelievably good. It was light, moist, and rich all at the same time. And then the glaze. Oh, the glaze. On a scale of 1 to Titanic, this bread is Titanic.fs

Ingredients

Bread:

  • 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
  • 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt (Fage! Fage! Fage!)
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter (I used PB&Co. White Chocolate Dreams)
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 6 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup ground flax meal
  • 3/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup Reese’s peanut butter baking chips (my special touch!)
  • Cooking spray

Glaze:

  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tbsp. light vanilla soy milk
  • 1 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. To prepare bread, combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until blended.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a small bowl. Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended. Stir in peanut butter chips. Pour batter into a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack. Remove bread from pan; cool.

4. To prepare glaze, combine powdered sugar, milk, and 1 tablespoon peanut butter in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Drizzle glaze over bread.

DSC_2708

I dare you to make this bread and not want to eat the whole thing.

While the bread cooled, I convinced Justin to walk the Cooper River Bridge with me. He had never gone before and it was the perfect weather to be outside: 85* and sunny. We walked the entire bridge – roughly 5.4 miles. At the end I found some gymnastics equipment. monkey

The next day, I gave half of the banana bread to my friend Luke. Apparently during exam time, law school students live in the library and don’t eat. This hurts my heart, so I gave some bread to the needy. Earlier this evening I got a picture message from the library.

True Life Charleston Law: Full throttle, ear plugs, my banana bread.image

Who eats banana bread with Full throttle?!?!

“No skim milk in here :(“

G-R-O-S-S.