Apr 11, 2011

Moroccan Spicy Shrimp & Grits

You’d think after living here for 14 years I would have made shrimp & grits several times by now. I did tonight, though, with a Moroccan twist, using this Serious Eats recipe.

Moroccan Spicy Shrimp
From Hank Shaw

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. large, peeled deveined shrimp
  • 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
  • 4 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tbsp. ground coriander
  • 1 tbsp.ground cumin
  • 1 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. cayenne (less if you want it milder)
  • Salt
  • Juice of a lemon

Directions

  1. Salt the shrimp well and set aside for 10 minutes.
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic. Turn the heat down to medium and sauté the garlic for 1-3 minutes — don't let it burn.
  3. Add all the ground spices and stir well to combine. Cook this, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
  4. Turn the heat up to high and add the shrimp. Stir to combine and cook, stirring constantly, until the shrimp turn pink. This shouldn't take more than 4-5 minutes.
  5. Turn off the heat, add the lemon juice and toss to combine. Serve at once.  Serves 4-6.

While I quickly cooked up some of these…image

…I made a bowl of grits with diced tomatoes, onion, and garlic. All the different spices in this dish give such a simple recipe so much flavor. The whole thing took less than 20 minutes to make and would have taken even less time had I not dropped the shrimp twice, knocked over a bag of grits, and let 3 cloves of garlic burn. Clearly, I was trying to work too fast. DSC_2577 (1280x853)

Speaking of speed, I have been highly irritated by all things slow today.

  • slow laptop
  • too many slow drivers on the way home
  • too many slow people walking around the gym
  • a slow woman who felt it was safe to walk in the middle of the parking lot

It’s not that I’m impatient, really. I just know that when I want something, I am on a mission and I don’t like things blocking my way. I’m like Hurricane Xtina and everyone around me needs to get on their evacuation route.But on the other hand, I absolutely cannot stand the feeling of being rushed. Does this make any sense? 

In blogger news, I met two readers this weekend! On Friday night, Jessica approached me at Trio wearing a blue wig! She was at a Bachelorette party and everyone was wearing different colored wigs. On Saturday night, I met Mo, who I didn’t know was a reader. That made me super happy. Thanks to both of you for saying hello! That’s just one of the many reasons I keep blogging. And yes, I have been absent for a few days because I needed some time to focus on other things like work and friends. IMG_5024Sometimes you just have to check yourself before you wreck yourself. Smile 

What is your #1 favorite thing about blogging?

Do you ever feel the need to take breaks from blogging? What helps you regain focus?