Apr 17, 2012

Green Pea Soup with Mint from CSA Week 1

I have been counting down the days.

It’s like Christmas!DSC_0131 (1024x683)

Today I picked up my first box from my CSA with Gruber Farm! Included in the box from Week 1:

  • strawberries
  • kale
  • collards
  • broccoli
  • daikon radish 
  • radishes
  • mesclun lettuce 
  • peas
  • sweet onions

I couldn’t believe how much was in the box. A whole pint of strawberries? As if I needed more – I went strawberry picking again yesterday. Thank goodness I can freeze them for smoothies! Needless to say, I was anxious to use my fresh produce in the kitchen.

DSC_0135 (1024x732) 

Green Pea Soup with Mint, adapted from New Vegetarian Cooking

Serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds fresh peas
  • 1 large sweet onion, roughly chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 2 tbsp. fresh mint, finely chopped
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 3-4 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt, for topping
  • fresh mint leaves to garnish

Preparation:

Put the peas into a saucepan with 5 cups water, the onion, and garlic. Cover, and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the onion and garlic are tender. Add mint and simmer for an additional minute.

Blend in a food processor until pureed, then return to the saucepan. Thin, if necessary, with a little more water and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Reheat, then ladle into bowls, top with a swirl of yogurt, a grinding of black pepper, and mint leaves, and serve.

DSC_0134 (1024x731)

Of course I had to eat this with my favorite green spoon.  Not only does recipe require very few ingredients, it’s easy to make! I couldn’t believe how good it was for such a simple recipe. You can serve the soup warm, but it would also be delicious chilled. The Charleston weather is so warm already, and a chilled soup would be quite refreshing.

Let’s talk about the nutritional perks of peas! According to The Food Doctor (one of my favorite books), peas contain calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, B vitamins, folic acid, potassium, zinc, and iron. They’re a good source of vegetable protein, tone the stomach, and aid liver function.

Another favorite pea recipe of mine is Shrimp & Sweet Pea Risotto. Or, check out a bunch of Peas Recipes from my idol, Martha Stewart.

Do you like peas? Do you prefer fresh, frozen, or canned? They all taste different, I swear!

How often do you make your own soup? I’m always so impressed with how much better fresh, homemade soups are. It’s worth the work!