Apr 3, 2012

It’s That Time of Year– Spring CSA Time!!

I’m so excited you guys. It’s almost time for the start of my Spring CSA. In case you don’t remember from when I signed up last year, a CSA (community supported agriculture) is a program in which  you sign up with a local farm that provides you a weekly box of produce that they’ve grown.

This year I signed up for a Small Share with Gruber Farm. image

The facts:

  • Gruber Farm is located just south of St. George.
  • The farm has been in operation since 1948 and is family-owned and operated.
  • Each week, you pick up your box from one of the convenient drop locations.
  • You can choose from 3 different share sizes:

image

The Spring CSA last for 12 weeks, from late-April to mid-July. Some of the veggies I will find in my share are: beets, blackberries, blueberries, broccoli, butter beans, cabbage, cantaloupe, carrots, cauliflower, collards, corn, cucumber, eggplant, figs, grapes, green beans, kale, lettuce, okra, onions, peaches, peas, peppers, plums,pole beans, potatoes, radishes, rutabaga, snow peas, spinach, squash, strawberries, Swiss chard, tomatoes, turnips, and watermelon. That, my friends, is quite the variety of fresh, local produce. To say I am excited is an understatement.

Why I love CSAs:

  • I receive a greater variety of produce than I’d typically buy for myself.
  • The drop box locations are very convenient.
  • Last year I was forced to try new vegetables that I normally shied away from, which, in turn helped me discover ones that I love. Hello, beets!
  • More produce = more nutrients = healthier living
  • It encourages me to try new recipes.
  • It supports a local farm!

I highly recommend signing up for a CSA with Gruber Farm. Do it with me! Over the 12-week period, I plan to show you my goodies each week and hopefully share new recipes. I’m even more excited for this to start now that I’ve been eating as a vegetarian. I think I’ll appreciate the vegetables much more this go around.

If you’d like to sign up with Gruber Farm, check out their website here. You can easily subscribe for the Spring CSA online, or call Stanely Gruber (843-563-1159) or Susan G. Kirlin (843-693-7069).  Let me know if you sign up!

Do you subscribe to a CSA?

Do you find that it encourages you to eat healthier or try new fruit/vegetables? What’s your favorite part about it?

What’s your favorite vegetable?