Feb 28, 2011

Sweet Vanilla Rice Pudding / Photo Day #8

I’m now up to Day #8 of the Photo Challenge - a picture that makes you laugh. This is a picture of Matt and me playing an Xbox skiing game. I was racing down a mountain while Matt was, err…I don’t know how to explain that pose. Awkward. And I’m wearing Matt’s shirt because this was also the day he hosed me down in the yard. Click to zoom – it’s so worth it.image

In the afternoon, Lucy and I went to the gym for two minutes. Two. About 1 minute and 32 seconds on the treadmill, I asked her “Why are we here? We should be walking the bridge.” We promptly left the gym and drove over to the Ravenel Bridge.  We spent a good hour walking the entire bridge in the glorious 80 degree weather. This picture is also awkward, so just focus on the pretty bridge.bridge

That evening we made the best rice pudding EVER. EVER EVER EVER. It was so good that I got a little emotional in the kitchen. The last time this happened was when I made blueberry ricotta pancakes.

Sweet Vanilla Rice Pudding

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 cup whole grain brown rice
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  • 2 cups light vanilla soy milk
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
  • 1/2 cup raisins

Directions:

  1. Bring water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice and salt and return to a boil. Turn heat to low, then simmer the rice, covered, until all of the water is absorbed, about 15-2o minutes.
  2. Remove rice from pan and set aside in a separate bowl. Add soy milk, vanilla extract, and sugar to the pan and bring to a low boil. Stir often so the milk doesn’t over boil. Add the rice back to the pain along with the raisins. Stir often until the milk reduces and becomes creamy, about 20 minutes. Remove from pan and place in a bowl to cool, or enjoy warm.

We enjoyed ours in the martini glasses that I have never used until today. Seriously. I don’t drink martinis – they make me gag or drunk in .5 seconds. DSC_2479-1DSC_2480

Throughout the day, Lucy spilled fish food all over her car seat, oats all over Whole Foods, and water on herself. I spilled broccoli and water all over the floor, spilled pink nail polish on the couch, and burned my hand on the stove. How are we alive? Maybe I do need a martini.