Nov 7, 2012

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookies–Brrr, It’s Cold!

In my head I’m belting out “Baby, it’s cold outside!” It’s in the 40s right now. The 40s. Last week I was complaining about the 50s and I feel like a jerk for that. I’m sorry! I was adjusting. Funny thing is, I’m going to North Carolina next weekend and it’ll be even colder there. Thank goodness I’ll have the mittens my Grandma made me. Maybe when I’m there she’ll teach me how to make a pair. That would be sweet!

Meanwhile, I’m doing everything I can to stay warm. I’ve got on my fuzzy socks and am under about 42 layers of blankets as I type this. If I had hot chocolate, I’d be drinking that, but instead, I have cookies. Of course I have cookies.DSC_0249 (1024x682)

Mexican Hot Cocoa Cookies, from Martha Stewart

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with racks in upper and lower thirds. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down side of bowl. Add eggs and beat to combine. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture and beat until combined.

  2. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, and chile powder (if using). Using heaping tablespoons, form balls of dough and roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place, about 3 inches apart, on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until cookies are set in center and begin to crack, about 10 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Let cookies cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to racks to cool completely. (Store in an airtight container, up to 1 week.)DSC_0231 (683x1024)

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Martha Stewart is a genius. Her recipes, or at least those that I’ve tested, are solid. They’re not fussy, they’re to the point, and they are good. Very good. I’ve made these cookies several times and they are always a crowd pleaser. They’re sweet with just a subtle hint of spiciness. If you didn’t know the recipe called for chili powder, you’d wonder where the kick came from. They’re light, tender cookies that will stay soft for a couple days. But don’t expect them to last that long – they’ll be gobbled up in no time.DSC_0256 (1024x731)

Next time it’s too cold outside to leave the house, fire up that oven and get to baking.

Might I suggest having a couple with a glass of hot chocolate?

The chocolate chip cookie is a classic. What is your favorite unconventional cookie?