Nov 1, 2012

Pumpkin & Black Bean Chili (Vegan!), New Running Playlist

And just like that, the temperature dropped. I realize it’s snowing in some places, but holy crap this crisp weather came out of nowhere. It is 45* as I type this. 45 degrees!!! That’s just rude.

Meanwhile, my Gruber Farm CSA still thinks it’s Summer. I’m not upset about it; I’ll hang onto Summer as long as I can.photo 1

Week 7’s box:

  • apples
  • corn
  • tomatoes
  • black eyed peas
  • the cutest pumpkin ever
  • yellow squash
  • broccoli

I was so excited to see that adorable pumpkin as I hadn’t bought one this year. It may be too late to carve it, but I can surely make pumpkin puree for more pumpkin bread. I bet it’ll be a million times better than the canned stuff.

Just checked the weather. It’s still 45*. I’m still cold. I bet you are too, so I made us some chili.

Pumpkin & Black Bean Chili

  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 ears of corn, kernels removed
  • 2 (14.5 oz.) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz.) can of pumpkin puree
  • 2-3 tbsp. Sriracha, depending on your heat preference
  • 2 tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • ½ tsp. cinnamon
  • Optional toppings: crumbled pita chips, avocado

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion until softened, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook an additional minute. Add the tomatoes, corn, black beans, pumpkin, Sriracha, and spices. Stir until evenly combined. Reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve warm with toppings. Makes 5 servings.

image

This chili is very different from anything I’ve had. In fact, it’s better. It’s both sweet and spicy and you can adjust the seasonings to your liking. You should also note that when you first mix all the ingredients in the pot, it will seem very thick. I promise that after simmering, the juices will come out and it will be just right. You can trust me…and Sarah:

image

She made my day with that tweet!

In other news, I’m still running longer distances, with 5 miles being my new minimum. Amanda and I always run together, but right now her doctor says she has a sprained ligament. : ( Will you please pray for her? I hate that she’s hurting and want her healed a.s.a.p.!

Now have a looksee at my current running playlist:image

What’s your favorite cold weather food?

How do you like your chili?

What’s your favorite song at the moment?