Nov 3, 2011

Biceps and Brussels Sprouts

I have been eating out way too much lately.

Don’t even get me started on my alcohol consumption over Halloweekend. However, life is short, and I refuse to not enjoy every moment of it! So what if I sipped a little too much this weekend? Instead of complaining about it, I balance it out with new workouts and clean eating during the remainder of the week. And then all is right in Xtina land.

Inspired by this Equinox workout that was featured on FitSugar, Mariah and I busted out a circuit workout in roughly 45 minutes.

Complete Circuit 1 three times. Repeat with Circuits 2 and 3, with a 1-2 minute break between each circuit.

Circuit 1:

Exercise Reps Equipment Notes
Jump Squat 15 Body weight  
Squat Thrust Deadlift 15 15 lb. dumbbells  
Single-arm swings 15 15 lb. dumbbells  
Plank with Reverse Row 15 each arm 10-15 lb. dumbbells  

Circuit 2:

Exercise Reps Equipment Notes
Lunge with Bicep Curl 15 alternating legs 10-15 lb. dumbbells  
Mountain Climbers 45 seconds Body weight  
Bridge with Exercise Ball 20 Exercise Ball Place soles of feet on the top of exercise ball, then lift pelvis up and control it down.
Plank 45 seconds Body weight  

Circuit 3:

Exercise Reps Equipment Notes
Romanian Deadlifts 15 10-15 lb. dumbbells  
Push-ups 15 Body weight  
Overhead Press 15 10-15 lb. dumbbells  
Jump Rope 60 seconds Jump rope Can substitute with jumping jacks

By the third set of each circuit, we were miserable. Once we completed all  9 circuits, we were groaning, but both agreed that it was an excellent workout, for cardio and strength.

We then rushed back to my apartment for some fresh fall veggies. CHECK THIS OUT. Have yall ever seen Brussels sprouts still on the stalk? I nearly did cartwheels in Trader Joe’s when I saw this. DSC_0783

Thank goodness I had just worked on my biceps – this branch was beastly! (So was my hair after the gym, but hey…)

Brussels sprouts are incredibly easy to make. Just 5 simple ingredients will make delicious roasted sprouts: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Of course you can add more, but why mess with nature too much? We used this recipe, but roasted them a bit longer so they’d have a nice crispy outer layer.

We also made spaghetti squash and topped it with tomato basil sauce and goat cheese. The sprouts were the highlight of the meal, for sure. I could not stop eating them.DSC_0787 (1024x683)

At the gym, do you prefer cardio or strength training? I love running outdoors but definitely prefer strength training. It does wonders for my metabolism and I get to hang out near the boys at the gym. Any talk about “bulking up” drives me absolutely crazy– 10 to 20 lb. weights a couple times a week are not going to make a woman bigger. We do not have enough testosterone for this. And on that note, STRONG OVER SKINNY!!!

What’s your favorite fall vegetable? BEETS!!!