Feb 28, 2012

Spicy Chickpea & Lentil Stew, Bridge Running

Earlier this month, I promised you guys more recipes on the blog. One major difference of the upcoming recipes is that they will be vegetarian! I’m excited to show you all that there are tons of vegetarian recipes that are both healthy and delicious. So, to the last person who asked me “What about protein?” – this ones for you.

Spicy Chickpea & Lentil Stew

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
  • 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
  • 2 tsp. garam masala
  • 1 (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 (15 oz.) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cups (1 can) vegetable broth
  • 1/2 cup dry green lentils
  • 1 (6 oz.) container of plain, fat free Greek yogurt (I prefer Fage!)

Preparation:

Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté the onions. Add peppers, garlic, garam masala and cook until peppers begin to soften. Add everything except the yogurt, reduce heat to low, and cook for 45 minutes, or until chickpeas have softened. Add yogurt about 15 minutes and mix well before serving.

DSC_0005 (1024x683)This stew is incredibly easy to make and packs in a ton of flavor…and protein! God bless a chickpea! The addition of the Greek yogurt gives this stew a creamier flavor but is still low in fact.DSC_0010 (1024x682)

Before making the above recipe, I went for a bridge run for the first time in over a month. I missed this beautiful structure! I set out around 6 p.m. as the sun was setting.IMAG1838

I walked 1/2 of the incline to make sure my knee was okay, then ran the rest of the way over and down. IMAG1837

On my way back, it was so much darker!IMAG1840

Eeeerie! I started to wonder how safe it is to run the bridge alone in the dark. Can I shove mace in my sports bra? I could see that going terribly wrong for me…

Where is YOUR favorite place to run?

If you’re a vegetarian, what is the most common question you get asked?

If you have any questions for me, let me know!