Feb 9, 2012

Winning at Twitter and Painting a Peacock

This morning when I woke up I noticed a few missed calls and text messages. I immediately thought “Who on earth needs me before 7:30  a.m.? That is not cool.” To my surprise, they were informing me that they just heard my twitter and blog info on the radio. I had no idea, but The Modern Connection, a social media firm, had chosen the “Top Twitter Stars in Charleston” and announced them on The Bridge at 105.5.image

Remember my mention of my friend Holly on Tuesday’s post? She was voted a Top Twitter Star too!image

That definitely made my day!

Thursday night, Boding and I met my friends Rachel and Hannah for a painting lesson at Fear No Easel in Mount Pleasant. Many of the locations around here feature a calendar mostly full of Southern or beachy-themed paintings – definitely not what I want in my house. When we noticed a bright, beautiful peacock painting, we all jumped on the opportunity.

Fear No Easel allows you to bring your own wine, or purchase some from them, so that you can let your creativity flow while you paint. This might work for some people, but it just makes me have a shaky hand. Being one of the least artistic people I know, this wasn't going to work so I sipped my wine sloooowly.

Hi Boding!6839290517_3907d3a042_b

An instructor stood at the front of the class with a microphone and a camera hooked up to a display that zoomed in on her easel. She walked us through the entire painting, showing us how to make new colors and use different techniques. The only thing that bothered me is that she went so fast, and when someone asked her to slow down or repeat something, she appeared irritated. On a positive note, the owner and other staff members were very friendly and walked around refilling our paint and offering compliments and tips.

At first I thought my painting looked awful. Boding kept making fun of me because I looked so intense. This is definitely the most serious face I have ever made.6839258179_d60c56c0bd_b

And back to normal Christina: 6839273125_f662839d16_b

Eventually, all our brushstrokes came together into beautiful artwork. It’s pretty neat how each of us were painting the same thing, yet had such different outcomes. Here are Hannah and Rachel with their finished products:6839270801_13ea2448c7_b6839265111_4cce8744b7_b6839275861_bfb2d3999e_b

The painting I did last year has been sitting in my closet ever since I took it home. it doesn’t match anything! So I’m happy to report that I have already found a place for my peacock – right on the wall behind my bed. Now let’s see how long it takes me to actually hang it…

Are you artistic? How so?

Have you been to a painting or other art class? Would you go back?