Sep 26, 2011

Happy National Pancake Day!

According to this site, Monday, September 26th is National Pancake Day. Pancakes might be at the top of my favorite breakfast lists, so this holiday had to be celebrated. Lucky for me, Mariah was also up to celebrate. As we didn’t find out about the holiday until the afternoon, we decided that breakfast for dinner was in order!

My absolute favorite type of pancakes are these blueberry ricotta pancakes that I’ve made several times. But why not celebrate the beginning of fall with…

Pumpkin Pancakes, serves 4

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 cup skim milk (or soy milk!)
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preparation:

  1. In a large bowl whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger, Set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine milk, egg, pumpkin, and vanilla extract.
  3. Add wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until just combined.
  4. Heat a griddle or pan to medium low. Coat with cooking spray. Drop 1/4 cup of batter onto heated skillet. When bubbles start forming, flip pancakes over, or after about 2-3 minutes. Cook for another 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately!

DSC_0651 (1280x853)

These pancakes were definitely some of the best I’ve had. The pumpkin flavor was light; I might add more puree next time. Because of all the spices, they weren’t very sweet, but maple syrup will help with that. Here you see my plate with the pancakes drizzled with maple syrup and a side of Trader Joe’s turkey bacon.

How do you feel about breakfast for dinner? I could probably have it at least once a week. It’s nice to be able to have breakfast foods that you can spend more time on. Mornings are too rushed for me!

What pumpkin recipes have you made so far? This was my first, but I’d really like to find a good pumpkin scone recipe. Send your favorite pumpkin recipes my way!

Fitness plans for the week:

Monday: 20 minutes of HIIT, shoulders/chest strength training, 20 minutes light interval cardio

Tuesday: Body Attack with Amanda

Wednesday: Body Pump or an outdoor run

Thursday: Kickboxing

Weekend: an outdoor run and maybe Body Flow – has anyone taken that?