Sep 20, 2011

Southwest Meatballs with Black Bean and Corn Salsa

So, you guys know I subscribe to an obnoxious amount of magazines. We’ve talked about this. Er, I’ve blogged about this and then you guys commented. Same thing, right? Yep.

One of the magazines I subscribe to, Clean Eating, was never one of my favorites. I thought the recipes were boring and not worth trying. Well, when I plucked the October issue out of my mailbox, I took one look at the cover and thought, “Oh I am making that!”

Black beans + corn = one of my favorite combinations, ever. And meatballs? Who doesn’t love a freaking meatball. Oh, vegetarians you say? Boo.

This lady’s on a red meat kick lately. I’ve no idea where it came from, but I’ve been ditching the chicken for the cow at least once a week. (The Chick-fil-A Gods are hating me right now.) So, I often pull recipes out of magazines and shove them in a folder and forget about them. Or I star them on google reader but rarely go back to them. This time it was different. The next day, I made the recipe on the cover with a few changes. And it was good. So good. DSC_0604

Southwest Meatballs with Black Bean & Corn Salsa

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. ground sirloin (or turkey breast)
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 15 oz. can low-sodium black beans, drained
  • 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 4 oz. can diced green chiles
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • juice of one lime

Preparation:

  1. In a large bowl, combine ground meat, egg whites, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and mix well. Shape into 16 meatballs.
  2. In a large skillet, heat oil on medium-high. Add meatballs and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, green chiles, and cumin. Mix well. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through. Squeeze lime juice into the pan, and mix well. Serve immediately.DSC_0610

This is such a flavorful dish and so easy to make! I highly recommend using ground sirloin. Browning the meatballs in the pan seals in all the juices and really adds a good flavor to the entire dish. I really can’t wait to make this again!

What are your favorite food combinations? Some of mine are:

  • brown sugar & cinnamon
  • peanut butter & banana
  • avocado & honey
  • goat cheese & honey

What’s your favorite spice? I love cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Cinnamon on everything!