May 4, 2011

Lemon Dill Salmon with Tzatziki Sauce

A couple weeks ago, I made one of the easiest healthy recipes. This fish requires such little work that it’s a great weekday meal. All I did was take a couple of pieces of salmon and drizzle them with olive oil and fresh-squeezed lemon juice, and sprinkle them with salt & pepper. In a baking dish, along with sliced zucchini, I added a bunch of fresh dill. I then roasted them for 10-12 minutes at 400*. The salmon came out so moist! DSC_2719

I love salmon because it’s full of health benefits. It’s chock full of vitamin D, omega 3 fatty acids, selenium, protein, vitamin B3, and vitamin B12. And because it’s full of flavor, you don’t have to baby it too much – a bit of fresh herbs will do the trick!

If you’re a saucy person (duh, I am), you may want something more. Tzatziki sauce is your best bet because it is so refreshing!

Tzatziki Sauce

  • 1 small container plain Greek yogurt (<3 Fage!!)
  • 1/2 of a small cucumber, grated
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp. fresh dill
  • s&p to taste

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Allow it to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours for the flavors to blend. It tastes even better if you let it sit overnight! Another really great recipe that I’ve made using tzatziki is Greek chicken and potatoes.

And if you’re wondering what the white mushy stuff on the plate is, well, those would be turnips. I took the turnips I got in my first CSA box, boiled them, and mashed them with a tiny bit of butter, skim milk, goat cheese, and salt & pepper. They were just like mashed potatoes!

What is your favorite fish? How do you like it prepared? As of Monday night, my favorite fish is now sheepshead! I also really love mahi mahi and swordfish.

Are you a saucy person or more of  a plain-eater? I tend to douse my food in sauces – whatever the food goes well with, I want more of it. Ketchup is one of my weakness. I use an outrageous amount of ketchup packets (or tubs!) on anything I can. Except steak. That’s just nasty. :)