Jan 24, 2011

A Crippled Girl’s Day Off

As I still can’t apply any pressure with/on my foot, I’m unable to drive. This = no work for the crippled girl. Lucky for me, I have awesome friends taking care of me. After breakfast, Tyler came over with pistachios, a box of crumb cake mix, and his laptop. It was clear that we would be lounging and eating just like we did all day yesterday. He worked on med school stuff and I finished watching Julie & Julia. This movie is adorable and I can’t believe I hadn’t seen it before. It’s a must-see for all food bloggers!

For lunch, Tyler convinced me to try out one of his favorite delis downtown, Halo. This little restaurant is located across the street from MUSC on Ashley Ave.DSC_2119DSC_2123DSC_2124Their menu contains an assortment of breakfast items, salads, wraps, sandwiches, and baked goods. We started lunch out the right way and ate our dessert first: a frosted sugar cookie that was about the size of my head. DSC_2122I ordered the Halo Green Tomato BLT - fried green tomato, apple wood smoked bacon, romaine, and goat cheese on multi-grain. Awesome choice for someone who can’t work out right? DSC_2125Tyler chose the Raspberry Chicken Sandwich – chicken, raspberry preserves, sweet potato biscuit, romaine, and tomato. Yes, there is actually a sweet potato biscuit inside of this sandwich. On the side, he got a cup of She-Crab soup.DSC_2128
Halo on Urbanspoon

My sandwich was definitely worth the trek in crutches, even if my underarms feel bruised.
DSC_2116Does this look like the face of someone who wants to be photographed walking down Rutledge in crutches? Yes, yes it does.DSC_2118After lunch, we stopped at the grocery store to buy the ingredients to make beef jerky. What I really mean is that Tyler went grocery shopping while I locked myself in the car for a dance party. An upper-body dance party, trust me.

I’m saving the beef jerky for a future post, but I did want to give you a little teaser. I’m not really sure what’s going on with my hair lately. I don’t usually look like such a ragamuffin. Or do I? DSC_2138While the beef marinated, I forced Tyler to watch an episode of Dr. Phil in which a girl can’t stop bingeing and purging. About 15 minutes into this ridiculous trash, it hit me –  picking up books from the library was essential.

Even though the Mt. Pleasant library is no mansion, I still felt like I was in heaven. I’ve always loved books. I was able to read by 4 years old, and my mom would often find me sitting on my bed surrounded by a pile of books.

Today’s book selection was very random: DSC_2148
  • How to Taste: A Guide to Enjoying Wine
  • 50 Fast Digital Camera Techniques
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything
  • Arabesque: A Taste of Morocco, Turkey, & Lebanon
  • A Baker’s Field Guide to Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Bake Wise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking.
It’s very clear what my interests are. Smile Thank you all for your well wishes, thoughts, and prayers. You are all such wonderful readers! P.S.: Tomorrow I’m having dinner at The Rice Market. Have any of my Charleston friends been yet? What should I order?

No comments:

Post a Comment