Jan 11, 2011

Snowpocalypse 2011: The Day We Had No Snow

Sunday evening news reports were claiming icy rain and possible snow in Charleston on Monday. We already had flurries a couple weeks ago, so I wasn't really surprised. Charleston is the new North. Except the people aren't rude. (I am originally a Masshole, I am allowed to say that.) I begrudgingly got out of bed at 7:30, got ready, and headed into work. On my way there, Victoria called me and yelled "TURN AROUND! The office is closed!" I nearly screamed into the phone like a 5-year-old, veered onto the next exit ramp, and turned around to go home. I was overjoyed! But on my way home, I spent over an HOUR on the Ravenel bridge. I saw 5 different accidents, with cars facing all different directions. Maybe one or two of these accidents were caused from black ice, but I actually think people just panic while driving under "inclement weather conditions" and end up driving worse than I do. Which is really, really bad. 

So how did I spend my random Monday off? 

As soon as I got back home, Lucy asked if I wanted to go to Target. That was a big fat yes. She, Rebecca, and I spent well over an hour in every department in Target (other than Men’s and the baby section, of course). Purchases included some rainbow-heart printed dish towels (very necessary), chocolate, mints, biore strips, and other womanly things. These are all things worth driving in the Snowpocalypse for. 

We also made a quick stop at the pet store. Now here's why Lucy might also be a bad driver. Instead of letting me get out to move this grocery cart, she said, "Don't worry about it! It's fine." And just parked. Like this. Haha.lucycar

When we got home, we did what we do best: sit on the couch with our laptops and surround ourselves with  magazines, books, and food. We usually leave the t.v. on too - any random channel will do. Every 5 minutes it seems that one of us asks the other, "Um, what are we watching?" or "Why are we watching Rachael Ray? She is soooo annoying." or "You can totally change it if you want." Yet we never really change the channel. DSC_2016

Lucy was itching to bake something so I suggested we make homemade granola. We again decided to brave Snowpocalypse 2011 to pick up supplies at Whole Foods. Very worth it. I was inspired by the Carrot Cake granola on Allie's blog, but I made mine a little differently.

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup rice crisp cereal
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrots
  • 1/2 cup walnut pieces
  • 1 tsp apple pie spice (or 1 tsp total of cinnamon + nutmeg + all spice)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup pineapple juice
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup raisins (save for the end)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325*. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together oats, coconut, cereal, carrots, walnuts, raisins, and apple pie spice, and salt. DSC_20192. Add honey, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract. Stir until dry mixture is fully coated.DSC_20213. Spread mixture evenly over a baking pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping granola halfway through baking time.DSC_20224. Once cooled, toss raisins into granola. DSC_2049

This granola can be enjoyed by the handful, over Greek yogurt, or atop oatmeal.

Immediately after baking, I again braved Snowpocalypse 2011 so I could go to Spin class. Today was my first class with David Cross, and he is fantastic! His high-energy level was so encouraging, and I loved how during our cool down song, he came around and high-fived everyone. But my absolute favorite thing from yesterday's class was that he played Meatloaf's "I’d Do Anything for Love (But I Won’t Do That).” Now that is how I want to start my Mondays. With this guy:

After Spin class, I hurried to get ready to watch Auburn play in the National Championship game. DSC_2057DSC_2051DSC_2052DSC_2056DSC_2053DSC_2055At the end of the game, a 19-yard field goal by Wes Byrum at the end gave Auburn the National Championship, with a 22-19 win over the Oregon Ducks. Champagne bottles were definitely popped!DSC_2062(Look, I’m Asian!)DSC_2063

In summary, Snowpocalypse 2011 meant great things: shopping for unnecessary crap, watching mindless television, baking, exercising, and drinking champagne for football games. I decided that work is overrated and anyone willing to financially support these habits of mine should feel free to call me on my telephone. I may or may not silence your call and text you back. That's just what I do.

WAR EAGLE!

No comments:

Post a Comment