Jan 4, 2011

Sweet Potato Hummus x 2: Sweet & Spicy

You know you are a foodie when you can’t sleep at night because your thoughts are consumed with what you can do with your brand new food processor.

I failed to mention that last week I had another baby. After purchasing my black baby back in October (the Nikon), I was ready to buy another coveted food blogger item: a food processor.

After receiving Grammy’s comical Christmas present (let’s not forget this pic), I started researching. Much like the Nikon/Canon debate, many people have a preference over using Cuisinart or Kitchenaid. Luckily for me, choosing a food processor was much easier than choosing a camera. Instead of 29867636982525286925 hours of internet surfing, I spent about 1 hour online and 45 seconds speaking to a Bed, Beth, and Beyond worker. Boom, done, time to puree.

This was the day I took home the baby. Please note the bags under my eyes – big decisions take a huge toll on me.DSC_1792And here is when I started talking to it like it really was human, probably telling it how much I couldn’t wait to use it. Either that I was talking to my photographer. Let’s go with the latter.DSC_1791In need of its first bath, I started taking the pieces apart. Enjoy my outfit.DSC_1785I’m sure 99.9% of my readers can safely assume that I had an accident. I somehow managed to drop the blade and stab myself in the leg. Day 1 with the food processer.DSC_1783Back to today. So because I was up all last night thinking about recipes, I was super tired today. The bags are never going away, are they? And what does this healthy munchkin do when she hasn’t had enough sleep? She skips the gym. And what does she do with an extra hour of time? She cooks, of course.

I’d like to introduce you to two new kinds of hummus that are sure to rock your world but hopefully not cause a leg injury.DSC_1963
Super Sweet Potato Hummus
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 orange juice
  • 2-3 tbsp. honey
  • 2-3 tbsp. brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus
Ingredients:
  • 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tbsp. sesame seeds (or tahini)
  • 3 tbsp. sweet chili sauce
  • 2 1/2 tsps. ground cumin
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
Directions:
1. Boil sweet potatoes until fork tender.
2. Transfer sweet potatoes to a food processor. Add remaining ingredients and puree until desired consistency has been reached. Devour immediately.

I was so impressed at how easy it was to make sweet potato hummus. All the ingredients can be tweaked to your liking, and adding or reducing liquids will give you different consistencies. The Super Sweet Potato Hummus will be huge among cinnamon fans, and would be delicious with apple slices. On the other hand, the Spicy Sweet Potato Hummus would be great with pita chips or carrots. I love both of these recipes because they are so different from one another, but I think I prefer the Spicy Hummus. I insist you make these at least once because it’s  definitely unlike any hummus you will find in the grocery store.

Question 1:  What’s the most interesting hummus you’ve tried?


Question 2: What’s your favorite thing to make with a food processor?

41 comments:

  1. Both of those look incredible! I hope they were worth that cut... ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god. We are so much alike it's crazy. I wear outfits very similar to that at home. It's because I'm too lazy to finish getting undressed haha!

    Sorry about the cut, but both foods look wonderful. Sometimes you have to go to battle for the things you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use my mom's old food processor, it's ancient but does the job! And I literally just bought a huge case of sweet potato already cubed from Costco and was searching for some recipes, as I had no idea what to do with it. Very excited to try this hummus recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun new buy! I only have a mini processor and kind of one want a regular size one. Yummy hummus. Hummus is good on sweet potatoes, so I bet mixed in one its even better. Broccoli hut has a whole page of different types of hummus. I love love her artichoke hummus (it tastes like pizza)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want a food processor soooo bad! I keep thinking of all these things I could make and then go "oh crap... that would need a food processor"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not quite sure how you managed to stab yourself with your processor, but it is something I would most likely do. I have a small chopper, but neeed one of these big bad boys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi, i'm a newer follower and had to comment because that hummus looks amazing! I wish I could say I have tried some crazy kinds of hummus, but I haven't. I'd like to though (especially these). I haven't used a food processor either, but maybe someday :)

    http://justrunmego.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally understand getting injured like that! A few years ago I dropped a glass which shattered and I ended up with a cut on the inside of my bicep. It was so weird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need a food processor! I almost bought that exact same one. However, I usually need about a month of debate, inner turmoil and guilt before making any kind of purchase over $20. I'm at week 2...So maybe I'll pony up the dough (PUN!) in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hummus + Sweet Potatoes! Sign me up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can't tell... did you go with the kitchen aid or cuisinart?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both of those hummus recipes sound delicious! I've never thought about it before with sweet potatoes. Also, love the food processor! I have a mini one and it's probably about time I step up to the big leagues.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You trip me out. Love the sweater with athletic shorts. I will be making that spicy hummus this week. I just bought a boatload of chickpeas to make this butternut squash chickpea salad from Smitten Kitchen- to be blogged about later. As for hummus hmmm, I have had tomato basil (delish) and a white bean one that was amazing. I also love jalapeno hummus, great spice. I use my food processor alot to grate cheese and carrots and cabbage for salads.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the outfit xtina! i to recieved new kitchen gear (pots and pans, woo) and referred to the way i was treating it as my firstborn child. awesome hummus creations and sorry about your leg.

    ReplyDelete
  15. YOu have to be careful with those blades! Love the green shorts! Nice choice. I made a sweet cinnamon hummus before that was really good and really weird since I couldn't get it out of my head that I was eating sweet chickpeas. I also made a carrot turmeric hummus that I loved. The sweet potato looks so good! I will have to try this out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I neeeeeed a food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got my first food processor about a month ago an am obsessed with it!! I've made a lot of soups (roasted butternut squash soup is sooo delicious) and have started experimenting making my own nut butters which is SO easy with a food processor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. AHHH I can't believe you stabbed yourself with the blade :( That totally sucks! I'm glad it wasn't too bad though!
    I actually had a food processor, but it got messed up when I tried to make banana soft serve one night. Like the blade got STUCK - it wouldn't budge. I had to get Craig to yank it off...but now I'm afraid to use it- like what if the blade flies out or something!? lol! Thank goodness it's on the registry :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. SWEET potato hummus?? YOU are a genius! lol i gotta try that.

    i tried peanut butter hummus once- pretty good actually!
    and my fav thing to make with food processor is mashed potatoes, but using cauliflower instead of potatoes. mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Haha! I love your outfit! I have some random shots of me wearing very similar things. Usually it's just like that - a cute/dressy top with athletic shorts. *grins* Good stuff.

    Sorry your blender attacked your poor leg! I'm so glad it has already made up for itself by making such delicious food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bummer about your new found baby attacking your leg! I somehow end up accidentally cutting myself with my fingernails (they're not that long!) or getting random paper cuts or bruises. I don't know how I do it, but you're not alone!

    Sweet potato hummus is such a great idea. Darn it. Another reason to get a food processor.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This post makes me laugh. I'm Arab and the thought of making hummus from sweet potatoes is funny. I wonder what my husband would say? Actually, he'd just stare at me like I've lost my mind haha. I'm curious to try this out now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have seen sweet potato hummus on other blogs and have been dying to try it!! I can't wait !

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've tried guacamole hummus and it was not good. It was trying to be guac and trying to be hummus and not doing either well. Sweet potato would be great! I would totally go for a pumpkin or squash or whatever requires less cooking (via canned puree... guilty for being lazy)

    I saw the pic of the blade next to your leg and thought it would be a joke about something; congrats on working a way to hurt your leg into the processing process... PS: where did you get that cute cardigan?

    ReplyDelete
  25. MUST TRY THAT SWEET SWEET TATER HUMMUS ASAP! oh my GOODNESS!! yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum, this looks fab! I can't wait to try it but first I need a food processor! I've been in the market for one lately, which kind did you buy? And do you love it?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am SO excited to make this recipe! I love sweet potato anything and have never thought of combining it with hummus...I may even have to make this today :) My favorite food processor treat is always hummus...I did try nut butter but it didn't go so well. The most unique hummus I've made is one with kalmata olives and honey; a Giada recipe, so good! Happy to have found your blog and this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. That was me with my new juicer! I need to make some orange juice but I'm NOT excited about peeling all the oranges. Hummus looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That sounds delicious! It's funny because I am making bean dip with my new food processor tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I have the same food processor!! Mine is the mack daddy size though. Don't know what I was thinking when I purchased that for my teeny apartment, especially since I'll never have to make ten pounds of anything.

    Most interesting hummus? Horseradish, from TJ's. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I totally enjoy your outfit. In fact, this is very similar to most of my house outfits. My favorites include work tops with huge pj pants. :)

    Anyway, I love these two varieties of hummus, especially since they contain sweet potatoes! Delish!!!! Can't wait to see what else you come up with (that I can copy). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how you called yourself a "healthy munchkin"! Are you my long lost sister? ;)

    I got a food processor for Christmas too! I'm so excited to make all sorts of flavoured hummuses with it. I'll have to try both of these!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That is hilarious that you cut yourself! That takes serious talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow! What a dangerous blade you have there ;) I have done this so many times....not my leg, but my finger, arm, and some of my nail :|

    I love hummus in my FP!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Most interesting hummus: It's called Kitchen Sink Hummus, made up by my friend at www.thatgirlkyle.com It has sundried tomatoes, artichokes, and hemp seeds...SO good!

    I love to use my food processor for avocado based chocolate mousse....yum.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I need the sweet one in my life ASAP! Bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I got a food processor for christmas too! Hummus was the first thing I made! Great minds, eh? :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Psssssh, please. Cmon over to my house and I will show you bags under my eyes.

    Hummus looks fab, I need to start making my own and get creative with it. I gave away my food processor to Salvation Army since it was kinda broken (oops) but need to get another one asap.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I got a food processor for christmas too and I was so super excited! This sweet potato hummus sounds incredible! It combines two of my favorite foods-hummus and sweet potatoes! Yummy!! I had to laugh when I saw you cut your leg with the blade...that sounds like something I would do! hahaha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh no! Sounds like one of my kitchen mishaps..when I first got a mandolin slicer, I sent my thumb through it and ended up with five stiches. At least you got some great use out of it with those recipes--can't wait to see what else you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sounds delicious and fun (thanks to Lori for sending me over here).

    I was just in London in November, and the big new hummus everywhere there is caramelized onion hummus. For good reason: it's delectable. I'm mostly a rawfoodie, so am going to try and make a raw version at some point, but also probably just replicate the regular. Fp's are awesome fun!

    ReplyDelete