Mar 20, 2011

This Post Is Kind Of Dirty.

Since I returned from NYC, I have been studying a lot.DSC_2562-1The book (bible?) in the picture above is The Professional Chef by The Culinary Institute of America. It was a gift from my wonderful, intelligent, and hunky friend Ben who I visited while in NYC. I want to read all 1,232 pages of this book.

This weekend I made my first recipe from the book: Glazed Beets. Actually, I made it twice. I first made it on Thursday night at 10:30 p.m. (So what?) Saturday afternoon after lounging by the pool, Ashley and I inhaled them. She texted me a few hours later freaking out about her pink pee. I ate so many that my pee was this color: You might think I’m joking, but I’m not. I made the beets again tonight and insisted that my neighbor come over --males should have pink pee too. In the bunch of beets I picked up from Whole Foods, I found this peculiar looking thing:

Devil beet? Rock star beet? Hang loose beet? What the?DSC_2562Beets are so much fun. Their juice dyes your hands…DSC_2569and the water you boil them in. DSC_2575I made sure to reserve some of the water to make Daniel take beet juice shots. DSC_2578Beet juice on the rocks.DSC_2576

Glazed Beets, from The Professional Chef

Makes 10 servings.

  • 2 lb. 8 oz./1.13 kg red or golden beets, tops trimmed, skin on
  • 3 1/2 oz./99 g sugar
  • 1/2 fl oz./15 mL red or white wine vinegar
  • 1 1/2 fl oz./45 mL orange juice
  • 8 fl oz./240 mL chicken stock (I used broth)
  • 1 1/2 oz./43 g butter
  • salt, as needed
  • ground black pepper, as needed
  1. Place the beets in a large pot and cover with water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook the beets until they are soft when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes.
  2. Drain and cool slightly. Slice the beets into 1/4-in thick rounds, or in wedges.
  3. In a sauté pan, combine sugar, vinegar, juice, broth, and b utter and bring to a simmer. Cook gently until the glaze has the consistency of a light syrup, about 15 minutes.
  4. When ready to serve, toss the cut beets in the glaze over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.DSC_2631DSC_2635

Even though these taste like candy, they are full nutrients and benefits. The Food Doctor tells me that beets contain calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorous, potassium, manganese, folic acid, and vitamin C. They are an excellent intestinal cleanser (hello, pink!), a good blood builder, and help detoxify the liver and gall bladder.

Go eat some beets.DSC_2650