Mar 1, 2011

Pastitsio / Photo Day #10

Photo Day #10 - A picture of the person you do the most ****** up things with. This was a no-brainer: Ashley. We’ve haven’t even celebrated our 1st friendshipaversary yet, but we have done some wacky things. That yacht we met on changed our lives forever. If you’ve been reading my blog over the past few months, you already know how weird we are together. If not, you can catch up here, here, here, here, or here.

Earth Day 2010imageimage

Moving right along…

This morning I noticed that I had too much spinach in my refrigerator. Knowing how I will typically read 206982 cookbooks looking for the perfect recipe, I decided to waste no time and ask my twitter friends. Nicole was the first to respond:pastitsiotweetAnything called “pastitsio” needs to be in my kitchen just so I can say it aloud. Repeatedly. \päs-ˈtēt-sē-(ˌ)ō\ …Pas teet see oh. Say it with me now. Pastitsio.

Today I took impulsivity to a whole new level. When I got this tweet, I had just started to get ready. Picture it: wet, curly hair, no make-up, t-shirt, skinny jeans (obvi), flip flops. Publix is across the street, so I just took off.

While stopped at the red light I realized I still had my Crest whitening strips in. HOT.

I figured I know the grocery store like the back of my hand, I wouldn’t have to talk to anyone. WRONG. Not only did I have to ask for a 1/2 pound of ground turkey, I had to ask where the condensed milk was. Try saying “turkey” and “condensed milk” wearing whitening strips. HOT x 2.

Pastitsio, adapted from Weight Watchers

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef (99% fat free)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 9 oz. fresh baby spinach, cooked and drained
  • 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
  • freshly  ground pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked ziti
  • 1 (12-oz.) can evaporated fat-free milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 350*. Spray a 2-qt. casserole dish with nonstick spray.
  2. Heat a large nonstick skillet sprayed with nonstick spray. Sauté the turkey and onions, breaking apart the turkey with a wooden spoon, until it is cooked through and the onions are soft, 5-8 minutes. Stir in spinach, tomatoes, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pepper; heat through. Stir in ziti, then transfer to baking dish.DSC_2477
  3. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk to just below a boil. Whisk in eggs and egg whites until frothy. Pour over pasta mixture; sprinkle with blue cheese and more ground pepper. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes.

Does this look low fat? It is!DSC_2481DSC_2493

The pastitsio didn’t plate well but who’s judging? I really hope you guys aren’t because the previous description of my appearance would have made you leave anyway.