Mar 6, 2011

The Ugly and The Pretty / Photo Day 13

I’m on Photo Day #13 - A picture of your favorite band or artist.

Britney Spears! Who cares if she had a mental breakdown? Everyone is allowed one or two of those in a lifetime, right?

P.S.: Her newest album, Femme Fatale, will be released on March 29th. I just pre-ordered it and downloaded the song “Till The World Ends.” It is good! I foresee another foot injury dancing to this at Trio.

How was everyone’s weekend? On Friday, my favorite paparazzo (Matt) came over and tried to photograph me changing before we went to the movies. Creep! He did manage to snap a picture of my new highlights and hologram nail polish. Yes, I said hologram. It is beauuuuuuuuutiful in the sunshine. :)DSC_2490

We went to Mustard Seed for dinner and then to Cinebarre to see The King’s Speech. Did anyone see this? Hate it, love it? I was kind of bored but thought the acting was excellent.

Today I made two recipes: the first being quite colorful, yet unattractive, and the second being adorable. Both were delicious.

Roasted Beets with Israeli Couscous, Walnuts, Blue Cheese and Citrus Dressing

Ingredients:

  • 2 medium-sized beets, washed, peeled, and cubed
  • olive oil, for drizzling
  • 2/3 cup Israeli couscous
  • 1/4 cup walnut pieces
  • blue cheese, crumbled

Citrus Dressing:

  • juice of one orange (about 1/3 cup)
  • 1 tbsp. olive oil
  • 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 tbsp. honey

Preparation:

  1. Preheat oven to 400*. Place beets in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with foil and roast for 45 minutes or until fork-tender.
  2. While beets are roasting, bring 1 1/4 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add couscous and simmer, covered, for 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
  3. Prepare citrus dressing by whisking together the orange juice, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and honey.
  4. When beets have finished roasting, mix together with the couscous and walnuts. Top with blue cheese and citrus dressing.

Not pretty. Tasty!DSC_2483-1.NEF

After dinner, I made some cookies for my neighbor, Daniel. When I texted him that I was making him cookies, within 15 seconds he was walking through my door. No knocking necessary. He walked in JUST when Lucy was doing a downward dog in the living room. I think he liked it. Hahaha.

I used Emily’s recipe for the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever. She’s not kidding around you guys. These cookies contain browned butter and yeast. They are big and have a crispy edge with a slightly chewy center. They.are.perfect. DSC_2487-1

Daniel just ate a cookie. I asked him, “On a scale of 1 to Titanic, how much do you love these cookies?” He responded, “They’re pretty Titanic.”

Have a great week!